33-Rescue Op With A Broken Heart

Running through that portal, thinking about the urgency in Magnus' tone, Ethan thought that he would be going into a fight, so he grasped his seraph blade tightly and charged through the swirling mass into Magnus' place. But he paused, confused, when there was no chaos, no panic, no nothing. 

Just Magnus, sitting on the sofa, glaring at the floor. 

"Magnus, why the hell are we here? I thought it was some kind of emergency. Why are you just sat there?" Ethan grumbled, truly believing that the warlock had wasted his time.

"Yeah, where's the fire?" Clary added.

Magnus rolled his eyes. 

"I didn't call you here for the sheer pleasure of your company, though that can be arranged later, Ethan" Magnus replied, winking at Ethan.

Alec's hands curled into fists by his side. He knew, after the way he had treated Ethan, that he had the least right to be jealous. But he couldn't help it.

Ethan merely sighed in response, placing his free hand on his hip and loosening the iron grip he had around his seraph blade as he came through the portal. 

"Mags, be serious. What's going on?"

Magnus groaned, rubbing his hands over his face. "Blondie has been imprisoned by the Inquisitor"

"Again?!" Izzy exclaimed. 

"What has he done this time?" Alec asked. 

Magnus rolled his eyes once again before replying. " Jace snuck out and took Raphael's motorcycle to meet Valentine at a ship last night. This morning the Inquisitor came round and said she knew that Jace had left. Obviously Jace denied it, so she locked him up again and now she's planning on trading his life for the cup"

Ethan scoffed. "Good luck to her. There's no way that's gonna work"

Magnus nodded in agreement. "That's what Jace told her.  She's just angry because Valentine killed her son, so she's taking it out on Jace. A relative for a relative, if you will"

Clary looked confused. "Doesn't she know that Valentine doesn't care about anyone but himself"

"Clary, Valentine cares very much so for his two boys. He hopes that they will carry on his legacy" Magnus replied. 

Ethan scowled "Well, I think it's fair to say that that ship has sailed"

Alec walked over to place a hand on Ethan's shoulder in comfort, but Ethan shrugged him off. 

"Don't touch me" he muttered, before walking over to stand closer to Magnus. 

Alec looked hurt for a moment, but then remembered what he had done to Ethan, to himself and any hope that they had for a future together. 

'Maybe you deserve it this time, Alec' he thought to himself. 

"There's more," Magnus sighed.

"Of course there is" Ethan scoffed.

"Because there can never just be one problem at one time" Clary chimed in next, earning a smile from the brother she had reconciled with. 

Magnus grinned at the pair of them, before turning sombre once again and continuing. 

"Maia and Simon have been kidnapped by Valentine, and he's storing them at the ship that Jace visited last night"

Ethan's face turned stormy and his hands curled into fists. He only allowed himself to slightly calm down when Izzy wrapped a hand around his shoulder.