11- The truth is hard to swallow

Much to Alec's annoyance, the mundane did talk. A lot.

"So I'm still not sure about everything that's happening here..."

Alec groaned "What else is there to actually understand? We are called Shadowhunters and we fight demons. That should be enough for you"

Simon shot Alec a look before continuing to talk "Well, what about other creatures? What other creatures do you kill? Do you-"

Alec interrupted him again "Look, mundane, let me cut to the chase here... we are not friends. So cut the chit chat"

Simon looked towards Izzy with a helpless look on his face. Izzy shook her head in exasperation.

"Just leave it, Simon," she said, shooting a glare at Alec, "he's just in a mood because he has to apologise to Ethan"

Simon's eyes widened and he glared at Alec. "What did you do to him?"

Alec smirked "Aw how touching! Best friend to the rescue!"

Simon's face grew harder, if that was even possible "Look, you can treat me anyway you want, but if you ever hurt Ethan again, I will make you regret it"

Alec scoffed, but he was internally battling with himself. He didn't like the way that Simon was speaking to him. It was the way that he spoke; he seemed to be playing the part of 'protective boyfriend' rather than 'defending best friend'. However, if he said anything else to Simon, then it could get back to Ethan, and then he would never trust him again. 

So, instead of arguing further, he ducked his head and muttered a short 'sorry' before rushing into Taki's. Izzy and Simon shared a look of confusion at Alec's apology, before following him through the door. Alec immediately spotted Jace, Clary and Ethan sat in a booth near the back. Jace was sat on one side and Clary and Ethan were sat on the other. 

As he approached the table, he heard Ethan say "So, I'm assuming the raw meat section of the menu is for the werewolves?"

Alec slid into the booth next to Ethan and looked at him as Izzy and Simon sat on the other side of the table with Jace.

"Absolutely correct," he said, taking the menu out of Ethan's hands and flipping it over, "and the human food is on the back"

"Thanks for the help" Ethan said tersely.

Alec sighed and looked around at the rest of their group. They seemed to be busy with their own conversations. 

"Look, Ethan," Alec said, his guilt showing clearly on his face, "I am so sorry about before. I never meant to upset you. I just... didn't know what I was doing and I was embarrassed by my... actions"

Ethan sighed and turned fully so he was facing Alec with his whole body, rather than  just his head. 

"I just felt like you were embarrassed of me," Ethan clarified, "because I was showing my fear. And I don't like feeling ashamed so I felt like I needed to get away from you. I'm sorry I ran off and didn't explain"

Alec's eyes widened "E, you have nothing to be sorry for! You wouldn't have been feeling ashamed if it wasn't for me. So I'm sorry. Are we good?"

Ethan let his hand drop from the table onto Alec's. He grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze as reassurance.

"Of course we are, Alec," Ethan said smiling, "Now, what do you suggest on this menu?"

Alec smiled back at him, happy knowing that Ethan had forgiven him and was back in his life. "Well you can't go wrong with the blueberry and coconut pancakes"

Clary nudged Ethan in the shoulder "I'll have it if you do"

Ethan smiled back at her "Sure, let's do it"

 After everyone had ordered, Alec turned to Jace "So what happened at the City of Bones?"

At this, everyone turned sombre. Even Ethan's eyes had lost their sparkle, Alec noticed.

"Guys..." Alec said, more wary this time, "what happened?"

Ethan was the one who spoke up. "Valentine is mine and Clary's father," he whispered, clearly knowing that this wasn't something to spread around, " But we didn't get our memories back. Apparently they were blocked by a 'Magnus Bane', whatever that is"

Alec choked on his water and involuntarily let go of Ethan's hand. As Ethan was patting his back and the rest of the group were looking at each other in a shocked silence, the waitress (of course) came to the table to bring everyone their food. After she left, the silence continued, with everyone finding distraction with the food on the table. 

After a while, Ethan couldn't handle the silence anymore. "Right, let's cut the bullshit. You all clearly have something to say on the matter, something you are considering whether or not to say out loud, so I'll do you a favour. Just say it"

There was another moment of silence, then Jace spoke up.

"I think I speak for all of us when I say that I'm worried about you being spies. Correct?" Jace looked around, waiting for confirmation from the other Shadowhunters, but was instead met with glares. 

"Jace, never speak for all of us again." Alec said, grasping Ethan's hand again and squeezing it in support, just as Ethan had done a couple of moments ago. 

"Yeah," Izzy piped up, "come on, Jace. You can't seriously think that these two are spies for Valentine after coming so close to being killed by a Ravener demon!"

"Wait, wait, guys," Ethan said, "if you don't believe we are spies, then why did you have such a- sorry- extreme reaction to the news? I mean, Alec actually started choking in shock!"

A small nervous laugh rippled around the table. 

Alec shrugged his shoulder, smiling at Ethan to try to diffuse the tension slightly "I think I was just shocked that Valentine managed to have a son who is the opposite to him. Funny, kind, caring and just a great person in general"

Izzy piped up again. "Now, Alec can speak for me! That's exactly what I thought too. You're both so sweet and kind and you are doing anything you can to save your mom, so I was just shocked that you could have such a horrible father"

Simon looked between Ethan and Alec. The two seemed to be sharing numerous glances over the course of this conversation. Deciding to make Ethan pay attention to him instead, he reached under the table to grasp Ethan's free hand. Ethan turned to look at him.

"Its all okay, Ethan," Simon said, "no matter what happens, you're still a great person. The one I care about deeply. You can get through this"

Ethan smiled gratefully at Simon. " Thanks, Si, I don't know what I would do without you. I'm so glad you're here"

Alec glared at the interaction between the two, as he turned the topic of conversation onto something different.

"So... what do we do about the Magnus Bane situation?"

A/N- Hey guys!

Hope you are enjoying it so far.

I am writing four different stories at the same time at the moment, so my dedication is split between all of them. Therefore, I will update as much as I can, but it probably won't be everyday. If you like this story, please vote and comment!

Until next time, 

kait-astrophe