Awkward

After hopping out of my car, I went around to the passenger side to find Lefty trying to open the door. He looked very awkward doing it. Probably because he looked like a demented ostrich with his head craned so far down. I chuckled a little.
"Need some help bud?"
He stopped and I opened the door for him. He slowly, but was certainly trying to step out of the car, and did so leaving his microphone. He stood before me, 7 or 8 feet and all.
"...You learn quick don't you?"
No reply. I sighed, closing and locking my car, hoping that no one on the street sees him. Probably not, it's not a lonely neighborhood I live in but not very busy either.
"Alright, let's get you in."
He seemed to be examining the ground and the street. Gazing at the driveway, looking at the house, staring down the road at the array of houses. Guess it's a new experience for him.
"...Lefty, you okay?"
He looked around a bit more and stepped back over to me. He nodded slightly. He towered over me. This is weird, I mean like, even weirder than bringing somebody you like over to your parents. But I guess you didn't have to hope that they would fit through the door.

I unlocked the door to my house and stepped inside, Lefty following close behind.
"Well, this is my uh.. pad... my house whatever you wanna call it."
I stepped aside to let him in. He bent his head down a little before coming in. He was tall but the roof was taller. It made me wonder if I should put him somewhere else. I don't have a guest bedroom and... it feels kind of weird to just let an animatronic roaming around your house. But hey, no robberies probably. It was then I realized I was staring at him and he was staring right back.
"Oh sorry, just thinking that's all."
I closed the door, hoping I didn't attract flies when I felt soft arms carefully wrap me into a hug from behind.
"Thank you..."
I felt my face turning a bit red and leaned a little into the warmth, just patting his arm around my shoulders.
"Uh yeah.... no problem, what are friends for right?"
He unwrapped his arms and stepped away. I almost felt myself wanting another hug as I stepped up to him. He seemed to be looking around. The old couch from my dad, the unorganized coffee table. But hey, at least my house wasn't a dump. He could be able to walk around. He walked up to my t.v and slowly pressed a finger to the screen. Gently though, if he cracked it I would've chained him to the side of the house. But he was gently, looking at everything curiously. I yawned, feeling the bags forming under my eyes. What time was it? I glanced at the clock hanging above my couch. 8:57pm. I stared at Lefty, wondering if I should just let him roam around. I mean, he was big but he seemed to be careful with things.
"...Hey Lefty? I'm heading to bed. I'm trusting you, so don't break anything okay?"
He only turned and tilted his head to me, seemingly confused.
"...Bed?"
"Yeah bed, or I'm gonna go sleep."
"...Sleep."
"..Uh, you know how you power down at night sometimes? Humans have to sleep to do stuff the next day. They gotta regain their energy you know?"
He slowly nodded. He was cute, so curious and child-like.
"..Well if something happens come wake me, okay?"
He slightly nodded again. I left him to it and made my way to my bedroom, leaving the door open in case he couldn't turn doorknobs.

I was laying down, trying to get sleep but thoughts nervously swam this way and that in my brain, keeping me awake. I sighed. I listened to the soft pitter-patter of Lefty's padded feet. Every so often they stopped. I will admit, it did make me nervous that he might do something but it also made me feel safer. I wasn't alone tonight like I am always. Ah, whatever. At some point, I did eventually drift into a deep sleep.

Time Skip (7:00am)

I yawned, and opened my eyes to find Lefty hunched over staring straight down at me. His eye glowed and his jaw hung open. I flipped out when I didn't realize it was him and when I did, tried to calm down my breathing. I put my hand on his red cheek.
"My god Lefty, you scared me! What are you doing?"
He stood up and stepped back a bit. I sighed and got out of bed.
"...Sleep."
"Yeah, that was me sleeping Lefty."
"...Peaceful. You.... looked peace...-ful."
He was still a bit slow with words but at least he could talk now.
"Yeah, well my mind was gaining energy for... for mind control powers."
He tilted his head at me, confused. I chuckled.
"It's a joke Lefty."
I only realized how much this animatronic didn't know. It was kind of like trying to teach a baby. Except he wasn't a baby.
I walked out of my room and looked at the kitchen. Most cupboards and drawers were opened. A chair was moved. Even a few cups were on the table, one upside-down and one right side-up.
"...You didn't break anything?"
I turned to look at him and he shook his head.
"...What were you doing?"
He only stared at me before his arms raised and then lowered. A shrug. Guess he just got curious. Then that means he probably didn't power down.
"...Why didn't you power down?"
He looked at me and his jaw opened again, letting his voice come out.
"...I wanted to... pro...-tect you."
I chuckled a bit, feeling my cheeks go red again.
"Lefty, that's very nice of you. But why?"
He didn't respond, only looked towards the door. That reminds me.
"Ah crap, we have to open today. There was a big party or something-"
I stopped dead when Lefty stomped towards me. Thought he was gonna knock me out but no. He just stopped right in front of me, making me feel like a little kid who got in trouble.
"We can't.. we can't go back. Danger... It's danger... -ous. We can't go back. No, no going.... back."
It was the fasted he's ever spoke to me. Why did he seem so... on edge? If animatronics can even feel like that. I kind of looked at him questioningly.
"..Well why not? It's my restaurant, it's mine and your job. We kind of have to."
It was then he reached out and gripped my arms. Not so much to where it hurt, but firmly.
"No. Not to... today. We're not going back."
"Okay! Okay okay... okay... we're not going to work today."
He released my arms and stared down at me. I sighed.
"We have to at some point, okay? We do, it's our job and people will start getting suspicious. And disappointed. But if you're so scared then okay, we're not... we're not going."
I felt like a mother fighting with her kid after him begging not to go to school. But alas, I lost. He gently wrapped me into a warm hug again. I chuckled, and hugged back, feeling somewhat safe. It was odd. He felt... softer somehow. Like the endoskeleton wasn't pressed against my face like last time. But I shook it off. In an all too short moments later, he released me back into reality again. I stared up at him. He stared back at me.
Maybe if he was going to stay here, I should teach him a few things.
"Hey Lefty, you know what cards are?"

Time Skip (8:59am)

After I cleared off my coffee table, I sat Lefty at one side and me at the other on our knees. I had tried teaching him a game called Crazy Eights. He was very clumsy with the cards because of his hands. He kept dropping them or being very awkward. At times he even accidentally knocked over the stack in the middle, cards falling everywhere. But I couldn't get mad at him. Just couldn't, don't know why. Eventually, he did get it. Was still a bit clumsy with the cards but he was able to lay them down like a normal person. This was exciting really. I taught my friend how to play a card game. My animatronic friend that is. He seemed content though. He wasn't so on edge anymore which was good. I wondered what he was afraid of. Well actually, those animatronics in the vents. Yeah, they are a problem. But I can't just close my restaurant. If anything I should call the company and ask what the hell to do with the animatronics after they're salvaged instead of just leaving them in inside. I tried not to think about it as Lefty laid down a Number Eight card. He was getting close to winning.
"...Dia...Diamonds."
I'm losing to a robot.

Time Skip (9:30am)

After I put the cards away I brought out my bluetooth speaker and my phone, hoping to let him recognize some tunes.
"You know what music is right?"
He gave a slight nod.
"Alright... you know who these guys are?"
I put on a song from my favorite band and started dancing. He gazed at me confusingly and I laughed.
"Don't tell me you don't know how to dance!"
"...I don't..."
I guess that kind of explains his actions when I first put him on stage.
"Well, you just move your body and your feet to the rhythm of the music. Like this see?"
His card game skills were no match for my stupid dance moves. He just only gazed at me and kind of bobbed his head to the music.
"There you go! That's the spirit!"
He kind of got the hang of it and tapped his thighs with his hands, like an awkward friend at a party.
It was then I messed up my feet a little and tripped on Lefty, making us both fall over. I wanted to laugh but sort of leaned up worried. His arms were wrapped around me protectively and his eye stared at me, wide.
"Hey, you okay? I didn't hurt anything did I?"
He shook his head.
"Okay.. cause I'm comfy down here."
I laid my head back on his chest, his muzzle near my head.
"...Sorry for falling on you."
"No need to... be."
He carefully patted my head a bit awkwardly. For a giant robot he is very gentle. But we both laid there, me enjoying the cold air that came from his mouth. I laid there, wondering if I should help him up. Yet he didn't seem to be complaining so I just laid there with my animatronic. My animatronic.