Fireworks (Holiday Special)

I had gotten up in the day, a little bouncier than usual. Lefty seemed to be content as well. Still wasn't very comfortable with me leaving but I need to go out too. However, I had planned a little surprise for him. It was the 4th of July. Now I'm not too big on this holiday but I thought it'd be good for Lefty and I had asked him if he knew what firecrackers were.

The black bear tilted his head at me, eye half-lidded.

"...Firecrackers."

"Yeah, they're like uh.. they're I guess some form of explosives? You shoot them off and they have all different designs. You've never seen any?"

"I don't think so."

I had to explain this after he heard a few last night and was a little surprised. He thought they were gunshots so I decided to show him the real thing.
I went to a big tent in my city where they normally start selling fireworks at times like this. I got a bunch of sparklers, fountains, poppers, and artillery firecrackers.
Now normally I would have that sick feeling that something is watching me but I didn't today. Take that, creepy... feeling.

Time Skip (8:57pm)

The sun was just beginning to set and I took Lefty outside to my backyard. I brought out the bag of fireworks and laid them on the old picnic table that I had scratched my initials in more than once. Lefty leaned over, curious and his eye flicked this way and that. It was a cool night and I enjoyed the fresh air. I think Lefty also enjoyed it. Of course without the obvious firecrackers in the distance echoing across the world. Now all of China knows you're here.

I had lit a sparkler and handed it to him delicately.
"Okay, you hold it here, see?"
He only stared at me.
"...Will it hurt?"
I laughed.
"No, they don't bite. Just take it here."
He cautiously took it out my hand and walked straight over to the middle of the backyard. I had to hold back a chuckle.
"..What are you doing?"
"Pro.. protecting you."
"Protecting me? Lefty it won't hurt you, just don't touch the hot part. Wave it around, have fun!"

He proceeded to hold it straight up like Mary Poppins. I half expected him to start floating away. I laughed again.
"Just wave it around, make little shapes and stuff."
He held it straight out like Harry Potter and waved it around. As I said. He seemed content so I let him be while trying to prepare an artillery.

I placed the firework in the middle of the backyard and asked Lefty to stand back. I lit it and jogged over to him. His sparkler had long gone out but this should surprise him too. I suddenly held his paw? hand? and squeezed it. He turned his head to me, seemingly puzzled.
"Look."
He turned his attention back to the firework.
It shot off. Straight into the blanket of the night sky and exploded. Shimmers of colors showered the air. I took one look at Lefty and his gaze seem to be fixated on the sight. Although he's an animatronic... he really did seem human the way he stared at the fireworks, amazed. Like he had never seen anything so pretty. He then looked at me after it was done. And wrapped his furry arms around me. For some reason, he did hug me often. Mainly when I left and I always returned the favor. Wrapping my arms around his waist best I could and burying my face in his fur padding.

"That was.. love... lovely."
"I knew you'd like it."
"Can we do it again...?"
"Of course, whatever you want."

We spent the rest of the night firing off artillery fireworks, slamming bacon poppers on the ground, waving sparklers around, and gazing at fountains.

And all the while, I truly felt happy with him. I haven't felt this calm with anybody in a very long time.

Apologies for the lack of updates! Decided to write this late 4th of July special because I thought it'd be short and sweet. Hope you guys are enjoying so far! Thank you so much for reading! ♥