23 - break

first break quickly rolled around and just like in form, sean didn't know where to go. he knew for a fact he couldn't go with them, especially after what had happened in gym. he actually considered sitting with signe and her friends, but after thinking about it more, he concluded that he'd only go them as a last resort. her friends were nice people and signe was beginning to act like a little less of a crazy bitch, but they weren't the type of people sean hung out with. as he walked out of the changing rooms he decided that he would just be lonely again and spend his entire break in a toilet cubicle.

as he made his way to the toilets he could hear a familiar voice coming from behind him: it was felix. he was a little scared of felix now after how he acted in gym and the fact that he threatened to break sean's nose. the boy quickened his pace, swung open the toilet door and locked himself inside, praying he hadn't been noticed. after he calmed down he retrieved his phone and his earbuds from his bag, before putting them in his ears and listening to some music.

outside of the toilets, felix and his friends had just found ethan, and were now making their way down to the cafeteria. they got to their table that they always sat at; bob, wade and felix sat on one side, ethan, mark and tyler sat on the other. everybody was bursting with questions about what happened in second period. everybody except for ethan anyway. he had the joy of not being there.

"you okay fe after your meltdown earlier?" mark asked playfully, to which bob and wade snickered. felix just groaned, clearly not impressed.

"meltdown?" ethan asked, confused.

"felix and sean got partnered up in gym and halfway through the lesson fe started yelling at him and then stormed out." bob answered. ethan didn't know what to say, so he just didn't respond.

"so what was that about fe?" bob asked, now giving felix his attention. the injured boy sighed and began to explain.

"right from the moment i walked over to him he started being cocky. couldn't even tell him i'd been forced to be his partner without him making a snarky comment. then the bastard kept hitting the tennis ball really hard and when he served, he whacked it straight into my face and gave me a huge nosebleed. i got pissed so i yelled at him. what's the harm in that?" everybody sat in silence for a few seconds, not really knowing what they could say that wouldn't piss felix off even more.

"did he apologise?" mark asked, sounding hopeful. felix shook his head.

"all he did was try to tell me that he didn't do it on purpose. yeah right.." felix mumbled.

"maybe he didn't do it on purpose." tyler proposed, but both felix and shockingly mark shook their heads.

"oh please, he was hitting the ball ridiculously hard the entire time we played. he was at least thinking about it." felix argued. mark nodded.

"i did watch them a couple of times. sean was hitting the ball way too hard." mark told tyler. felix clapped his hands and cheered.

"thank you!" mark smiled weakly and looked down at the floor.

"where is he?" ethan asked quietly, half hoping nobody would hear him.

"why do you care?" felix asked coldy, shutting ethan up. ethan was really starting to feel quite alone in this. he felt like he was the only one who truly empathised with sean and wasn't against him. he felt that mark was beginning to become really unbothered about the guy, and that tyler was only being nice for the sake of being nice. he would probably change his mind in a couple of days. he knew that when that happened, ethan would be the only one there for sean. and he'd have to make a decision.

for the rest of break ethan didn't speak. he just thought about sean. not like anybody was talking to him anyway. the bell signifying third period rang and ethan remembered what lesson he had next: maths in which he sits right next to sean. and on the other side of sean sits greg. the guy who had punched him in the stomach that morning.