Summertime

Five weeks go by and nothing really changes. Life goes on. I recover, so does Gerard, Mr James is found guilty, haven't spoken to Mom or any real family members. I should be happy, I am but I just wish we could be a normal couple.

I see all these couples kissing and holding hands in public, going on dates, bragging to their friends. I want all of that but I know I can't have that.

Well. Not until I finish in August but it seems so far away. I can tell Gerard feels the same way. Every time I see him in class I see the way he has to restrain himself from grinning at me, kissing me, saying a simple I love you. All the things normal people take for granted.

It's winter. Cold, frosty, moods are down, everything's pretty quiet. I enter the art classroom like I do every Monday, 1st period. Gerard gives me a weak smile as I walk in. Once the room is full he stands up, energy drained.

'Today you will be drawing a tree in a park, using either pencils or paint.' And with that he sits back down. Everyone goes to get supplies, so do I. I choose paint.

Half-heartedly I start to draw a tree. The classroom is pretty quiet, I can't help feeling Gerard is somehow off, there is tension there that's making me uncomfortable. He's just sitting there staring into space, almost like a statue.

No emotion on his face. And for 20 minutes he stays like that. It's kind of off putting. Normally, Gerard is full of fun in lesson, but in the past few weeks he's been flat. Both at school and home. He seems preoccupied.

Olivia taps me on the shoulder. 'What's up with Mr Way?' I shrug. 'I don't know.' She looks at him, studying his face. 'He looks upset.' I go back to my work, glancing at my teacher once in a while. He still stays still, slumped in the chair, staring at a wall.

Some girl putts up her hand, it's ignored completely. After a few minutes she speaks up. 'Sir, I need help.' Nothing. I sigh, that the fuck is up with him today? 'Sir.' I can see her getting impatient. All eyes are now on him, the whole class confused with what's happening.

'Mr Way.' Her voice is slightly annoyed. I turn around to look Olivia with a worried face. Olivia stands up. 'Mr Way?Are you ok?' He still doesn't even acknowledge anyone. Olivia sits back down and sighs.

After a silent minute the other girl walks over to the desk. 'Sir!' Waits for a response when she gets nothing she slams her pale hand onto his desk.

Like a on switch Mr Way jumps from his seat and onto his feet, making the class jump. Anger, sadness, annoyance all appearing on his face at once. He girl leaps back and sits back down.

'Fuck it. I've had enough.' With one swipe, the contents of his desk slam onto the floor. Oh god. 'Do you know at the start of the year where your teacher got fired? Well it's gonna happen again.' He jumps over the desk, stands at the front and rips off his teacher badge from the black leather jacket.

'Do you know why?!' No please, this can't be happening. The whole class look startled. He runs over to me, grabs me by my collar and drags me to the front. 'Because I'm in love with this freak.'

Before I know what's happening he kisses me before pushing me off. I stand there bright red, Olivia trying not to laugh, biting her bottom lip. Others just stare wide eyed. 'And I don't give a fuck if it's illegal. I fucking love him, and I would rather go to jail than pretend for another second that he means nothing to me.'

I smile up at him, but I know we're in deep shit. The whole class looks at us. 'I won't tell.' Olivia pipes up. Everyone else just stays quiet. 'Mr Way, go before people find out.' Some boy warns from the back. He's right.

I smile. Gerard does to. 'You guys have been amazing to teach, I'm going to miss you.' And with that we run down the hallways, hand in hand, laughing, teachers look at us with confusion. I squeeze his hand as we exit the school forever.

We jump in the car, start the engine and just drive in any direction. The building disappearing into the distance. I giggle, I'm running away with a teacher! 'New York sound good?' I nod. 'I've always wanted to visit the Empire State Building'. 'That's settled then.'

'Gerard.' 'Yeah?' He seems lifted. 'Why did you do it?' I sighs. 'I couldn't wait till summertime. I just need to hold you and not be ashamed. If I'm not a teacher I don't need to be ashamed.' He turns to look at me. 'Do you mind running away?' I ask him. He grins.

'Darling. You can run away with me anytime you want.'