ONE

The Rush // JJ Wilde

WELCOME BACK, WINCHESTERS

October 2005

THE BLONDE navigates her way through the bustling crowd of sweaty college kids. It's Halloween night, and Campbell Grace Winchester is trying her damndest not to roll her eyes at the very unrealistic costumes around her. 

In reality, the loud booms echoing from Sigma Alpha Epsilon's stereo are much too much for Campbell. It's not that she doesn't like parties, no Campbell lives for nights like these, it's just that this particular night happens to make Campbell want to crawl into a hole.

"Parker!" Campbell calls for her roommate, still pushing through the sea of humans, "Parker Greene!"

Suddenly the brunette's head pops up, "CG! Over here," she drunkenly spins around from the group of boys she's been talking to. Parker has on her 'alien' costume: neon clothing with a sparkly antenna-bobber headband.

Freshman Parker Greene bumped into a distraught Campbell Grace Winchester on USC freshmen orientation day over a year ago. Ever since then, the two had been inseparable. Parker's life is everything Campbell has ever dreamed of. Two loving parents and a football star older brother, captain of her high school cheer team, and not to mention, Parker doesn't know about what goes bump in the night.

"Hey! Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you!" Campbell shouts over the speakers, "I think I'm gonna head out, do you have a ride home?" 

"Campbell Grace Winchester backing out of a party? Do my eyes and ears deceive me?" Parker feigns exaggerated disapproval, still drunkenly swaying. "It's like, not even 11 yet!"

"P, I love you but I have a huge bio test next week and if I fail-"

"Your grade will tank and if your grades tank then you won't get into med school," Parker finishes her roommate's sentence before she can. The best friend has heard this train of thought one too many times. "I get it, Campbell, scurry on home! I'll get Becca to take me!"

Campbell flashes her a smile before retreating to the parking lot in search of her '86 navy blue Jeep Wrangler - her own version of 'Baby.' She flips the ignition, queues the radio to her favorite station, and speeds home to study for that damned biology test.

She and Parker share an apartment on the east side of campus, along with many other sophomores. It's not the most spacious living quarters, but Campbell and Parker have definitely put their own twist on the place. The walls are lined with posters from their favorite artists and bands, polaroids of friends are taped to the fridge, and the best part - Campbell finally has her own room.