SIX

DON'T DREAM IT'S OVER // THE HEAD AND THE HEART

PICK UP STICKS

IT'S BEEN about a week since they last had a case, and Dean is practically crawling the walls. They've stopped at a tiny little diner in the middle of nowhere in search of road food, although, Campbell begged her brothers to sit down and have a meal. She needed out of that car and out of the backseat. 

Campbell swings the bathroom door open and waltzes back to the table just as the perky blonde waitress drops by. "Can I get you anything else," she asks while bending over at just the right angle for Sam and Dean to gawk. 

"Just the check, thank you," Campbell hums while taking her seat, "you keep your mouthes open like that and you're gonna swallow flies, boys."

Dean shoves his sister's shoulder, "you know I'm allowed to have fun once in a while," he points to the waitress walking away, "that's fun."

Sam just chuckles and goes back to looking through his newspaper. It's common practice for hunters to find jobs in the paper, but not how you would expect. No one is too keen on placing a help-wanted ad for creepy-crawlies. So instead, they go through the obituaries and circle the ones that stand out from the rest - the weird ones. 

"Here, take a look at this, think I got one," Sam shoves the paper towards his siblings. "Lake Manitoc, last week, Sophie Carlton, 18. Walks into the lake. Doesn't walk out."

Campbell winces, she's only two years older than the girl. 

"Authorities even dragged the lake - nothing. She's the third body to drown this year. None of the other bodies were found, either," Sam continues. "They had a funeral yesterday."

"Funeral?" Dean sets his coffee cup down. "They just bury an empty coffin for closure or somethin'?"

"What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them."

"Do you have something you want to say to me?

Campbell rolls her eyes but doesn't interject. Sam's got a point with this one. 

"The trail for dad... it gets colder by the minute."

"What do you want me to do?" Dean retorts.

"Something. Anything!"

"Alright, alright," Campbell waves her hands to halt the commotion, "stop it."