SIXTEEN

NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE

"CAMPBELL GRACE no," Dean sighs.

"Campbell Grace, yes!" The youngest hunter laughs victoriously.

"We are not watching The Princess Bride."

"Yes we are, and you're going to love it." Campbell slides the DVD into the motel TV and turns to run and jump onto her bed next to Sam. Dean is on the bed parallel to his siblings, whining and groaning about watching his sister's favorite movie. 

Winchester family movie night. Er, well, Winchester-family-minus-John movie night -- a classic tradition. It started as a way to corral Campbell and Sam long enough for Dean to get some shut-eye, but as they grew older they just never stopped. Campbell's seen Diehard about 6 or 7 times, and don't even get her started on the entirety of the James Bond series. She can recite certain scenes word per word. 

"You're 20 years old!" 

"Says the 27-year-old who still talks about Star Wars!" Campbell cries, "It is my turn to pick the movie. Sammy picked The Matrix 2 weeks ago, you had The Great Escape last week. It's my turn."

"You sound like you're twelve," Sam chuckles. Campbell hits him with a pillow. "Ow!"

"Shut up and watch the movie, you doofus." 

Dean's the first one to pass out, Campbell can't tell if it's from the 11 beers he had or his disaster of a sleep schedule. Sam was snoring by the middle of the plot, and Campbell nodded off sometime after shutting off the TV. 

It's around 3 AM when Sam sits straight up in bed, panting and shaking. His eyes dart all over the place until they land on Campbell's sleeping figure on the other side of the bed. "Ellie," he whispers as he nudges her shoulder. Campbell mumbles something incoherently before rolling to face him, still asleep. "Campbell c'mon," He hits her shoulder. 

"Sleeping in the same bed as you was easier when you weren't a giant," she grumbles.

The middle child lets out an exasperated sigh before reaching for the lamp. It clicks on, causing Campbell to jolt out of her deep sleep. "What? What?!"

"We gotta go," Sam says urgently. He's up and out of bed now, already pulling on his jacket. 

"What's happening?" 

"Did you not just have a nightmare?" Sam asks as he slaps Dean awake.

"Hey!" The oldest grunts.