FOURTEEN

SOULFIGHT // THE REVIVALISTS

FAITH

DEAN THRUSTS the impala's trunk open with a grunt and begins to rummage through their belongings in search of the tasers. The Winchesters have finally tracked down the rawhead they've been hunting for days, and Campbell Grace is itching to get inside the house and take it down. "How much charge you got on those?" She asks her eldest brother as she steps out of the car. 

"100,000 volts," Dean chirps and tosses each sibling a taser. 

"Damn son." 

"Yeah," Dean sighs, "I want this rawhead extra freakin' crispy." He slams the trunk shut and turns to face Campbell and Sam, "we only get one shot with these things so make it count."

After a nod from each younger sibling, the Winchesters take off towards the house. Campbell's stomach churns at the thought of the creature that lurks in the shack. The last time she encountered a rawhead she was probably twelve or thirteen, in fact, it was one of her very first hunts. These things are fast, insanely strong, and known for taking small children. In other words, it's basically the boogeyman's cousin. Campbell shudders as she vividly recalls the wrinkled leathery skin that hung off of the humanoid and the squeal it unleashed when John zapped its ass. It's all too haunting. 

But, there's a job to be done. 

The stairwell down to the basement is tight, so tight that Campbell is sandwiched right between her brothers. Dean in the front and Sam bringing up the rear. They all have their tasers raised with their flashlights hanging just below the barrel, swinging from left to right in order to canvas the room. 

Each stair lets out an eerie creek as they descend into the dark and musty room. Campbell internally groans when she feels her right-foot step into a puddle.

All three Winchesters immediately pivot when a tapping noise sounds from a cabinet in the far right corner of the room. Sam and Dean stand with their flashlights trained on the wooden compartment as Campbell eases forward. "On three," she whispers, "one... two... three!" She thrusts the doors open and readjusts her grip on the taser. 

A small shriek is emitted from the bottom of the closet, and the Winchesters peak down to find two small children huddled together. Campbell drops her weapon, "is it still here?" she asks in a hushed tone. The little boy nods in terror. "Okay, grab your sister's hand. I'm Campbell and these are my brothers, we're gonna get you out of here."

Campbell and Sam usher the kids up the stairs as Dean trails behind them as back-up. They're almost at the top when a hand juts out from beneath the stairs and grabs the youngest Winchester causing her to lose her balance. "Campbell!" Dean yells as she tumbles down to the base of the stairs. He ducks around the corner to take aim into the darkness, firing off his taser and missing the rawhead by a couple of inches.