FIVE

WOLF LIKE ME // TV ON THE RADIO

TOLD YOU SO

NO ONE got any sleep that night. How could they? Not when that thing is circling them. Everyone is on edge, even Ben, and Campbell hates it.

She catches the tail end of Dean and Hailey's conversation, "it kind of runs in the family," Dean says while looking at his hands.

"So what is this thing? Win-de-go?"

"Wen-di-go" Campbell corrects. "It's a Cree Indian word. It means, 'evil that devours.' They're thousands of years old. They were once man, sometimes Indian, frontiersman, miner, or hunter."

"How does a man turn into... that?" Hailey asks.

"Well, it's always the same. They suffer a harsh winter and get cut off from supplies," Dean interjects, "becomes a cannibal to survive. Eating members of his own tribe or party."

"Cultures all over the world believe that eating human flesh gives a person certain abilities: speed, immortality," Sam steps in, "over the years, you become this less-than-human thing. You're always hungry." 

"So, how is Tommy still alive?" 

"You're not gonna like it," Campbell grimaces before continuing, "more than anything a wendigo knows how to store its food for long winters. It hibernates for years at a time. When it's awake, it keeps its victims alive so they can feed whenever they need. If your brother's alive, its keeping him somewhere dark, hidden, and safe. We've gotta find it."

"Then how do we stop it?" 

"Guns are useless, so are knives, so basically," Dean holds up a can of lighter fluid, "we've gotta torch this sucker."

"Ellie! Dean!" Sam calls from a couple of yards ahead. They run to catch up with him, and find him standing with his neck craned towards the tops of the trees. They're covered in claw marks, "wait a second..." Campbell begins as she notices the circle of marks that encloses them. It's a trap. 

"I knew they were too clear and concise. They were almost too easy to follow." 

The growling's back and the group moves to form a circle, each person with their back facing another. Weapons are drawn, and they watch in fear as the leaves shift with movement each time the creature sprints. 

"Dean," Campbell whispers as she turns to look at the drops landing on her shoulder. Blood, great. And this was a new jacket too. She looks up to find a body falling toward her, she shrieks and dives just in time as Roy smacks into the ground. At this point, Hailey's having a full-fledged panic attack.