TWO

IT'S NICE TO HAVE A FRIEND // TAYLOR SWIFT

NEVER GO HOME

IT HAD been slightly awkward when both younger siblings reached for the shotgun door at the same time.  After Sam left, Campbell assumed the position of copilot; seeing as how Dean wouldn't let anyone drive the impala other than himself. 

Eventually, Sam let Campbell take the front seat, and she internally cringed as he folded himself into the back.

"So, law school, huh Sammy," Campbell turns to look at her brother.

"Uh, yeah," Sam pipes up, "if this interview goes well..."

Campbell nods in response, this small talk has been slowly killing her. How do you start a conversation with someone who feels like a stranger? 

Instead of continuing, she turns her attention back to the gas station in which Dean had entered moments ago.

"What about you?" Sam asks.

"What?" Campbell raises an eyebrow at her brother.

"I mean, from what I've picked up on, you're not palin' around with Dean..." Sam trails off.

"Oh... I uh- I have a scholarship to the University of Southern Cal. A full-ride actually," the blonde fidgets with her rings, "I'm on the pre-med track. Figured being a surgeon was more of a ... normal way of helping humanity."

Sam smiles, "No way."

"Yes, way. Gah - Dad was pissed. Dean... he took it better than I thought he would. I dunno, I knew I always wanted out and then - bam - the opportunity arises and it's all 'if not now then when.' And I guess... here I am now?"

"That's incredible, Ellie!"

"Yeah, it's something all right," Campbell huffs, "I've got a huge bio test on Tuesday that I can't miss. I just... I hope we find dad in time."

"I'm really proud of you, Campbell," Sam says, his voice just above a whisper. Campbell refuses to make eye contact with Sam for fear of letting her tears fall. Hearing those words after yearning for them the last 2 years is just... too much for Campbell at the moment.

Thankfully, Dean swings the driver's side door open, pulling both siblings from their thoughts. "Sup, nerds? Gotcha road food."

"Jerky and mentos, all a girl could ever dream of," Campbell hums sarcastically.

"I swear man you've gotta update your cassette collection," Sam whines from the backseat as he flips through the different tapes. "I mean who even uses these anymore?"