Apology-Chapter Thirteen

✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

I showered myself three times today, but I still felt dirty.

I was thankful Monty saved me before thing escalated, but I couldn't stop thinking about what could've happened if he didn't come.

Although Monty saved me that night not everyone could be saved.

Jeff Atkins got into a car accident after the party and died due to the severe impact.

I needed to get my mind off what had happened with Bryce and keep busy so I applied for work experience at Rosie's diner for a week.

Not only would it get me some extra cash, it would help keep me focusing on other things.

A girl named Lucy showed me around on my first day, helping me get the hang of working the register, serving the food and customer service.

I worked the whole day till night, so by the end of my shift I had gotten the hang of the job.

As we began to pack up and close, Lucy sent me outside to put the rubbish bags into the dumpster.

I carried two on each hand and shuffled my way out the back door, which lead out into a back alley where the dumpsters were.

I threw the bags in one by one and closed the lid of the dumpster, locking it shut with a key.

That's when a figure stepped out of the darkness, it was Bryce.

'I've been looking for you.' He said, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

A huge lump formed in my throat and I felt as though I couldn't talk. I went to open my mouth to speak but I just couldn't.

When he realised I wasn't going to say anything he continued. 'I wanted to apologise for Jess's party, I guess we were both pretty drunk.'

I couldn't believe he was trying to justify what he had attempted with me by being drunk.

But like I said before, I cared more about my school reputation then standing up for myself.

I faked a smile. 'It's okay, Bryce. I forgive you.' I lied, but I had always been a good liar.

And Bryce seemed to believe me.

'Everything all good out there?' I heard Lucy call from inside the kitchen.

Right on cue I thought.

'Well duty calls.' I said pointing behind me to the diner.

Bryce shook his head. 'Yeah i'll let you go. Also I have a party coming up soon and as a peace offering I thought i'd invite you.'

'Sounds good.'

'I'll text you the details.'

'Yep. Bye Bryce.' And with that I hurried back in the diner.

The lump in my throat had magically disappeared once I was inside and I felt like I could breathe again.

After work the next day I decided to stop by Zach's, finding him out the front working on his car.

His pride and joy.

Zach's skills with his hands was fascinating. They looked too big for the delicate tasks they performed with ease and precision.

He seemed almost graceful as he worked and it made me smile.

I sat on the pavement, playing with the grass by my sides.

Zach lifted up his shirt to wipe the sweat off his face from working under the sun.

As he did so he exposed his muscular body underneath it and I couldn't help but stare.