3.

"JUST LIKE LANA TURNER"

➖➖➖

ITS not that Sidney hated Liebgott, it's that she didn't particularly trust him. Especially when he was handling scissors near her neck. He kept arguing that he was skilled at giving hair cuts, but she wouldn't put it past him to sabotage her hair.

"Do you know how to cut curly hair?" Sidney broke the silence.

He scoffed in annoyance. "I'm fuckin' Jewish. Of course I know how to cut curly hair."

Silence cast over them once again, making Sidney anxious as the only sound she heard was the snipping of her hair.

"Why'd you cut your sisters' hair?" Sidney asked, shuffling on the creaky stool in the bathroom, near the shower drains so her hair would be easier to clean up.

He took a part of her hair and she heard the sound of his scissors. Did he bring hairdresser scissors to training camp?

"My Ma' usually did it, but when the economy went belly-up, had to learn to do it for them." He hesitated like he didn't want to tell her.

Snip. "That's sweet. Didn't peg you for a big softy." Sidney smirked as she joked with him.

"Don't go spreadin' that shit around," he complained in his usual angry tone.

Sidney chuckled, feeling a piece of hair brush her shoulders. "Cross my heart."

He sighed again. "If you don't mind my asking, what the hell are you actually doin' here?" He sounded less hostile when he asked, which made Sidney want to give him a real answer.

"Well since you asked so politely. Sink invited me to volunteer. Said it was a project he was trying to get going for awhile, and he finally got the okay when they realized how desperate they were for medics. I've always wanted to help in the moment, like hands on, so I volunteered." The explanation she gave him was longer than necessary in her mind. She didn't owe him an explanation since he's been such an asshole, but he was helping her with her hair so it was a fair trade.

He scoffed. "Sink's fuckin' nuts. You got a lot of balls to come here and deal with all these schmucks."

"That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me." She faked that she was touched.

Joe rolled his eyes and brushed out her hair with his fingers. "Done."

Sidney jolted up and was at the mirrors in a second. She had to admit that it did look good. Her hair now just barely brushed the tops of her shoulders.