9.

"IF IT BRINGS YOU JOY, IT'S CONTRABAND"

➖➖➖

IT was a good thing that Sidney prepared herself for Sobel to shit on her more than usual.

Was the already prominent humiliation enough punishment for her? Absolutely fucking not. A couple night runs up Currahee and hanging pull-ups seemed to do the trick. Sidney had always given Sobel the benefit of doubt, but after that she was sure that he was a sadist. He got off on her pain and humiliation. Everyone's for that matter.

That day he went too far. Taking away their freedom they could handle, but taking away their personal possessions that brought them a sliver of happiness and comfort boiled everyone's blood.

Maybe she was being dramatic. She knew by then to not take Sobel's actions to heart. This time it was too far. The man didn't know when to stop. Sidney debated whether or not to turn her dog tags into Sink and hop on a train to Chicago, leaving behind all her progress and ambition.

The day started out how it usually did. Sidney loved the small sense of normalcy that she felt, with little to no anxieties plaguing her. She had finally felt at ease with the guys. No worries that she would say something embarrassing or to light their short tempers. She knew the men better than they knew themselves at that point. Did she trust them yet? Maybe. Did she want to tell them about herself yet? Not really. She knew how to act around them, but she didn't know how to be herself yet. Not completely.

The walks back from PT were one of her favorite parts of the day, as weird as it sounded. For some reason it was always when she was in the best mood. Listening to them was amusing, a nice way to calm down at the end of each day.

"10 bucks says it'll be Nixon," Skip predicted, walking backwards to talk to them.

Malarkey shook his head. "No, no, no. You see the way Winters looks at that guy? He wants to punch him in the face!"

Sidney laughed and looked at the arguing group of Skip, Malarkey, George, and Toye. "Exactly. He wants to punch him. He wouldn't shoot him. My money's on Lieb." She pushed a strand of curls behind her sweaty ears as she's spoke.

"I say good ol' Gonorrhea will do the honors." George smirked, glancing behind him to see if Bill heard.

Joe scrunched up his eyebrows and shook his head, annoyed with the useless bets. "I don't care who fuckin' does it, as long as they do it soon."

Sidney snorted and rolled her eyes. "Keep dreaming. If one of us shoots Sobel we'd all get shot."

"Trust me, I'm dreaming about it," Skip joked, letting out a sigh.