7.

"BITCHING AND MOANING"

➖➖➖

SIDNEY really couldn't care less if Winters witnessed the whole encounter. She knew he would be quiet about it and keep it between them. He was a pretty discreet man, which she greatly appreciated.

Nixon was lucky he was so much like her brother. If it were any of the other guys she would've never trusted them again. She started to hate herself for how easily she restored her trust in Nixon. It came to her attention that she thought of him as a surrogate for her own brother and she hated it. She even felt guilty that her mind was trying replacing her brother.

She walked with the boys into their barrack, zoned out thinking about home again. Right when she was ready to suppress her thoughts, she noticed a pile of letters at the end of her cot, along with everyone else's.

She bit the inside of her lip to hide her smile. She sat down on the bed and looked at the familiar address on the label. Right as she was about to open it, a voice called her name.

"A couple of us are going to the top of Currahee, wanna come?" George asked,retying his shoes on his cot across from hers.

She looked up with a scrunched nose. "Why the hell are you hiking all the way up?"

"To watch the sunset," he said like it was obvious. He was only in his white under shirt and pants, knowing that it would be hot.

If she didn't think his answer was slightly adorable, she would have declined immediately. George saw the look of hesitation on her face .

"Come on, it'll be nice without someone screaming in your ear that you're a failure." He gave her a small smile.

With a roll of her eyes, she agreed. She disregarded her jacket, only in her PT shirt and pants. She grabbed the letters and tucked them into a notebook she had just bought, tucking it underneath her arm.

"Bitch and moan about the damn hill all day just to go and run up it again."

Perconte, Shifty, Talbert, and Grant joined them. She hadn't really talked to them that much since they were in different barracks. She figured that was part of the reason George wanted her to come. He always seemed to be the one to introduce her to more of the guys, being the social butterfly that he was.

She had to admit that the trail was peaceful when you could actually look at the scenery. She looked around while they walked and just listened in to their banter. The way the sun rays peaked through the tops of the trees was mesmerizing to her. She'd always been a sucker for nature.