4.

"NOODLE ARMS"

"NOODLE ARMS"

➖➖➖

THE small bond Sidney started to form with the men the next few days vanished the day they had to run the obstacle course more times than any company. That day, no one liked her very much.

The first time the girl laid her eyes on the obstacle course, it was a daunting sight. Doubt seeped into her brain, so much so that you could almost tell from her face. After a couple of days, almost no one doubted her physical abilities. She hadn't either until it came to the various obstacles that required you to be at least 5'5" to be able to do them.

The company waited with their game faces on, listening for the whistle that would signal them to start the course for the third time that day. As soon as they heard Sobel blow the whistle obnoxiously, they were off.

Sidney usually placed herself behind Guarnere to push herself to go faster. He was one of the best at PT.

Locking her hands behind her head, she lifted her knees high to get through the ropes. The third time around, she only stumbled twice and avoided falling like the first time. She went through the next few parts with ease. She crawled through the wooden tunnel, somersaulted out, army crawled underneath the barbed wires. Then came the wall.

Sidney paused for a second, men flying past her and over the wall with one jump. Sobel had informed her that if she struggled up the wall again, there would be consequences. The small girl didn't want to find out what the consequences were. She sprinted towards the wall and jumped the highest she could manage considering she was only 5'4". Her right hand latched onto the top of the wall, her left slipped so she had to haul it back up. Slowly, she pushed her entire weight up with her tired arms and desperately tried to move her combat boots up the wall to help her out. Sidney knew she already had a few splinters.

Finally getting over the wall, she smiled and jumped down rather ungracefully. Her rosy cheeks moved when she smirked as she ran the rest of the course. At the end, Luz high-fived her which caused a few others to follow suit. Sobel saw, and it flared up his temper.

"Private Girard!" He hollered, stomping over to her.

She stood at attention. "Yes, sir?"

Sobel stared down at her, noticing her heavy breaths. "I warned you that if you didn't get over that wall without hesitation, there would be consequences," Sidney stared at him, her face was blank but her green eyes were filled with fury. "Start the course over again."

Sidney looked around at the men. A few had looks of amusement at her expense, but to her surprise most of them looked sorry.