10. The She

Unable to catch my breath, it felt like the figure's gloved hands were digging into my throat

Unable to catch my breath, it felt like the figure's gloved hands were digging into my throat. Even though I was awake and had escaped him, I still could feel his icy breath, feel the vibration from his voice, the heavy stare of his concealed eyes.

Was he really there or had I just so vividly imagined him?

Is it a coincidence that he wore black gloves as Hoseok had?

Would I see him in my dreams again?

Clutching my chest, I stilled when a knock on the door resounded throughout the room. My muscles wouldn't respond as if I was still trapped in that dream - no, nightmare.

"Jangmi, are you there? It's me." Jimin's melodic voice was muffled behind the door, but regardless, it brought me an ounce of relief which allowed my body to finally move.

I managed to shift out of bed and stand, walking to the door and fumbling with the lock. As soon as it was open and he caught a glimpse of me, the excitement in his eyes dulled, his brows pulled together and his lips fell into a frown. Without uttering a word, he pulled me into him and wrapped his arms around me in a protective embrace. His hold was enough to assure me that things were okay at that moment, and that was all I needed.

"Thank you," I whispered into his shoulder as my hands gripped the material of his shirt.

"Always," he responded, clear concern in his tone. "Do you want to tell me what's wrong?"

I squeezed him tighter before pulling back and nodding, then leading him over to the bed. We both sat back against the pillows and Jimin waited patiently for me to speak. My hesitation prompted him to reach out and grab my hand, running his fingers over my palm soothingly. I sighed and leaned my head against his shoulder.

"I had a nightmare about him." I instantly felt like a fool as I tried to explain.

"Him?" Jimin gently pressed.

"Whoever is playing games with me. The one who is sending me letters."

"Letters? As in more than one? Jangmi, you never told me you got another note," he said, his voice rising in slight frustration.

I lifted my head and looked at him, finding anger welling up in his expression. With a sigh, I apologized.

"I know, I'm sorry. It happened just the other night. But now they're both gone—"

"Just the other night? You should have told me right when it happened. How can I help you if you won't even tell me when something like this happens?" He looked disappointed and I winced, hating more than anything that I was the cause of that feeling.

"I'm sorry, Jimin. I meant to tell you, I just..." As I struggled to put into words the chaos that had wreaked havoc on my mind recently, he spoke again.