26. The Silhouette

26 | THE SILHOUETTE

Hoseok and I stopped short as deep shouting rang out from beside us. On our left was a building with a dimly lit patio and two males who stood nose-to-nose as they glared each other down. The shorter one was gripping the other's shirt, pulling him close.

"That's Yoongi and Taehyung," Hoseok said.

Squinting into the darkness and following the outline of their figures, I realized he was right.

Whatever it was that they were fighting about was unclear as their voices dropped to inaudible levels. Their argument continued in low tones until a third figure walked over to them and set hands on both of their shoulders, pulling them apart to diffuse the tension.

"Namjoon," Hoseok stated, his night vision far greater than mine.

"Great." The three that we were most wary of just happened to convene without the others. If any of them were the Hood, I didn't want them noticing that I was spending time with Hoseok, alone and at night.

"We should go." Hoseok's hand started to reach for mine, but he drew it back when Namjoon spotted us and waved us over.

"Damn," I whispered, sharing a look with Hoseok before we made our way to them.

"Didn't expect to see either of you out this late," Namjoon said as he glanced between the two of us with interest.

Taehyung and Yoongi seemed strangely calm following their dispute. Yoongi gave a nod in greeting while Taehyung's eyes skipped over mine and darted instead to my neck.

"Didn't realize how much time had passed," Hoseok replied as he slid his gloved hands into the pockets of his black pants, angling his chin upward.

"What were you two doing?" Yoongi spoke up as his gaze landed on Hoseok.

"Dancing."

"Is everything okay? It sounded like you two were arguing when we were walking by," I said.

Namjoon chuckled as he wrapped his arms around Taehyung and Yoongi, setting his eyes on mine while amusement lingered on his lips. "Just some brotherly bickering. It's already the second time I've had to break them up."

"Brotherly?"

Yoongi shrugged out of Namjoon's hold. "Not actual brothers. Tae and I just grew up together so we're practically like siblings."

"I see," I replied while I crossed my arms against the chilled air. It was difficult reigning in my nerves, but I hoped my discomfort wasn't visible. I struggled to release the fear that Hoseok would end up hurt like Jimin had.

"We keep talking about helping you with your music, but we still haven't done it yet," Namjoon said. "Yoongi and I are free tomorrow after two if you're still interested."

"You can meet us at the library. They have a few sound-proof rooms we can work in," Yoongi added.

Taehyung caught my gaze. "I'll be there, too."

I nodded, glancing at all three of them. "Yeah, I guess I'll see you guys there."

"It's late," Hoseok said as he sent me a look. Let's go, now, his eyes said. "Let me walk you back."

"Sounds good." I was just turning around when Taehyung's low voice stopped me.

"Why don't I walk her back? Your dorm is out of the way, mine's closer to hers." His gaze burned into Hoseok's.

Before he could answer, I cut in. "That makes more sense."

"What?" Hoseok hissed under his breath as he glared at me, but I glared right back. All I could think about was preventing my terrorizer from harming Hoseok next. The possibility of being alone with him was less frightening than seeing another person I cared for getting hurt.