00

Loyalty.

Lily had always been told that was one of her finest traits. In the end, it came back to haunt her.

After her parents' death, she had made it her life goal to protect her family, who had been torn apart after the accident. Lily had two younger siblings to care for, and an amazing aunt who honestly just wanted to make everything easier for her nieces and nephew.

The past few months had been strange in Mystic Falls. Lily's younger sister, Elena, met someone new and spent essentially all of her time with him, despite Lily's warnings of getting too caught up in him. Her younger brother, Jeremy, was starting to become a stoner, which obviously didn't blow over well at home. Lily, on the other hand, was trying to get her degree online. She was twenty two years old, and had been attending college before everything happened. After the accident, she went home immediately and switched to online school.

Halfway through Elena's junior year, Lily was able to finally get her degree. She had finished all the requirements, and was honestly just relieved she had that weight lifted off her shoulders.

Jenna didn't pressure her to get a job, which she was incredibly thankful for. Lily still didn't know what she wanted to do with the rest of her life. There was something out there for her, she just didn't know what it was.

While Lily was wrapped up in online classes and giving all of her attention to getting an education, her younger sister was tied up in a whole new world.

Originally, Lily had no idea about any of it.

Until Jeremy was involved.

Lily was sitting on her bed, sprawled out across the sheets as she typed up a research paper. She wanted to get this assignment finished so she could sleep, but it was taking way longer than she had anticipated.

All of a sudden, Lily heard the front door open, accompanied with Elena and Jeremy's voices. Jeremy was clearly upset, but Lily was too focused on her paper to pay much attention.

"Does Lily know, too? How about Jenna? Why don't I just tell them, huh?" Lily could hear Jeremy yelling, causing her to frown as she shifted her glance to her bedroom door.

A few seconds later, Jeremy burst through the door, Elena hot on his heels. Jeremy had been determined to fill their older sister in, considering how upset he was when he found out the secrets Elena had been keeping from them.

"Woah, what is going on?" Lily asked, shutting her laptop as she looked between the two of them, slightly annoyed they interrupted her studying.

"Why don't you tell her, Elena?" Jeremy said, sending a glare to their sister as he crossed his arms.

"Tell me what?" Lily asked, swinging her legs over her bed and facing Elena. Lily noticed Elena tense up, shaking her head as she looked at her older sister.

"No, it's nothing. We were just arguing." Elena insisted, trying to pull Jeremy out of the room. But, Jeremy wasn't going to give up that easily.

"Elena, she deserves to know! I'm sure you've compelled her to forget, too, haven't you?" He asked, his voice now booming through the house. Lily widened my her, getting up to try and calm him down. She didn't understand what he was getting so worked up over.

"Jeremy, calm down. What are you even talking about?" Lily asked softly, looking up at him, since he towered over both of his sisters.

"Her boyfriend. Stefan. Not who you think he is, I can tell you that!" Jeremy yelled again, causing Lily to furrow her eyebrows.

"What does he mean, Elena?" Lily turned to her sister, realizing Jeremy wasn't going to calm down anytime soon. Elena had never wanted Lily to find out, or Jeremy, for that matter.

"Lily, it's complicated. I need you to stay out of it. I need you to be safe." Elena pleaded with Lily, watching as she rolled her eyes.

"I'm the older sibling here, I think I can handle it." Lily replied, crossing her arms as she looked between the two of them.

"Stefan.. he's a vampire." Elena said quietly, looking at Lily as she let out a breath. Lily didn't believe her for a second.

"I'm sorry, what?" Lily laughed slightly, shaking her head. There was no way she was serious. But, Elena only sighed, motioning to Lily's bed.

"Why don't we all sit? There's a lot I need to tell you."

That's when she told them everything.

At first, Lily didn't even know how to react. Of course, she was mad Elena had kept this a secret from them. It was a dangerous situation, and Lily felt awful that she wasn't there to protect her; to help her.

After a few days, Lily realized her intentions were good, and she was being stupid by ignoring her.

Lily forgave her, knowing she was one of the few family members she had left.

Jeremy took a while to warm up to the idea, but after a little bit of convincing, Lily got him to forgive Elena. All was well in the Gilbert household.

Elena tried to keep Jeremy and Lily out of it even after telling them, but stubbornness ran in the family.

What they weren't expecting though, was for Elena to have a twin. Well, not a "twin". A doppelgänger, who made things ten times harder for everyone in Mystic Falls.

Once Lily realized the danger Elena was in simply for being alive, she knew she had to do everything in her power to help her, whether Elena liked it or not.

--

I know this is incredibly short, but it was really just an intro to give a little bit of insight on Lily's background and how she became tangled up in the supernatural world.

Hope you guys enjoyed, I'll be working on the first official chapter xx