31

--

After grabbing Elena, Damon, Tyler and Stefan took both of them home, Stefan carrying the eldest Gilbert as she laid limp in his arms.

Elena had been sobbing since it had happened, and was convinced it was her fault, no matter how many times Stefan tried to console her.

When they got to the house, Bonnie, Jeremy, Caroline, and Matt were in the kitchen.

"Oh my god, Lily!" Jeremy exclaimed, rushing over to Stefan as he laid her down on the couch. "What the hell happened?" He asked, looking up at Elena for answers, who still had tears streaming down her face.

"Klaus killed her. Right after he fed her his blood.." Stefan trailed off, causing everyone in the kitchen to widen their eyes, including Jeremy, who was mortified.

"No. No, she can't be." Jeremy stuttered out, kneeling next to his older sister, who was lifeless on the couch. Jeremy felt tears well up in his eyes, knowing this wasn't what she wanted.

"Elena, come here." Bonnie sighed out softly, pulling her friend into a hug as Caroline joined in. Matt went over to Jeremy to try and console him, knowing he had lost way too much in the past twenty four hours.

They were all interrupted by Lily's phone ringing, which was shoved in her pocket. Elena pulled away from her friends and carefully grabbed it, furrowing her eyebrows at the name on the screen. She answered, holding it up to her ear as she wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"Elijah, it's Elena." She spoke, mentally preparing herself for what she had to say to the Original. She knew he wouldn't take it well, especially since his brother was the one who did it.

"Where is Lily?" Elijah asked, immediately concerned as to why she wasn't answering her own phone. It wasn't like her to have someone else answer the phone for her.

"You might want to come over here." Elena replied, glancing down at Lily, who still hadn't woken up. "Klaus killed her with his blood in her system. She's going to wake up as a vampire, and she's going to want you here when she does." Elena explained, causing Elijah's heart to drop immediately. Those were words he never thought he would have to hear.

"I'll be there soon." Elijah breathed out, hanging up as he quickly got into his car, heading to the Gilbert household. A million thoughts raced through his mind as he drove. He knew Lily didn't want this for herself, and he didn't want it for her, either. He was infuriated with his brother, knowing he was the cause for her death. Klaus had taken her entire life from her.

When Elijah arrived, he walked inside the house, not bothering to knock since he had already been invited in by Lily previously, who was technically the legal owner of the house after Jenna died.

"Elijah.." Elena started, walking towards the vampire, but he ignored her, immediately kneeling down next to Lily. Everyone had already left, leaving Elena and Jeremy in the living room, standing over Lily's body. They watched as Elijah's face tightened, his jaw clenching as he held back tears at the sight of her dead body.

"How long has she been out?" Elijah asked, not tearing his gaze from Lily's body as he brushed a hair from her face.

"Not long." Elena replied, swallowing the lump in her throat. "Bonnie said she could make her a daylight ring, she went home to do it." She added, causing Elijah to nod slightly. "We'll give you some time." She added, realizing that Elijah didn't want to talk at that moment.

Elena grabbed Jeremy's arm, despite his protests, and led him upstairs to finish painting Alaric's old room.

Elijah stayed crouched down next to Lily, allowing a few tears to stream down his face as he grasped her hand in his tightly. It was colder than usual, and he pressed a soft kiss to her knuckles as he laced their fingers together.