22

--

A little while after Esther's speech, Lily said goodbye to Elijah and went home. She knew they still had things to discuss, but she was exhausted, and wanted nothing more than to slip into sweats.

Lily shut the door of her bedroom behind her once she got home, sighing out softly as she reached behind her to try and unzip her dress. She struggled, though, due to how high up it was.

"Do you need some help?" Elijah's voice caused her to jump, and she breathed out softly when she saw him by the window. Elijah had come to clear some things up, and he wanted to make sure she got home okay,

"You need to stop doing that." Lily replied, watching as Elijah stood up and walked over to her, ignoring her response.

"Turn around." Elijah stated, so Lily turned around, pulling her hair over her shoulder so he could unzip the dress.

Elijah brushed his fingertips against her skin, causing Lily to shiver slightly as he slowly unzipped it, leaning down to press a small kiss to her neck once he was done.

Lily turned back around to face him, biting her lower lip gently.

"Can you turn around while I change?" Lily asked, a little self-conscious about changing in front of him. Elijah nodded respectfully, turning around to let her change, since he didn't want her to feel uncomfortable around him.

Lily quickly slipped out of her dress, throwing on a pair of sweats and an old t-shirt. After she was done, she walked over to Elijah, grabbing his arm gently to turn him around.

"We still need to talk about what Klaus said to you." Elijah spoke softly, turning to face Lily as he glanced over what she was wearing. An amused smile came to his lips, but Lily ignored it.

"I know." Lily replied, sighing out softly as she looked up at him. "He's not wrong, for once, Elijah." Lily stated, causing Elijah to shake his head.

"He is wrong, Lily. I would never leave you just because you aren't a vampire." Elijah replied, looking down at her with a hurt expression. "Do you truly think that low of me?" He asked, and Lily quickly shook her head.

"No, it's not that, Elijah.." Lily insisted, averting her eyes from his gaze. She was terrified to tell him what had really been on her mind, ever since he had returned.

"What is it, then?" Elijah asked, glancing over Lily as she stayed silent. "You know you can tell me anything." He added, trying to get her to open up. He didn't want her to feel like she had to keep things from him, and her hesitation was making him nervous.

"I love you." Lily said suddenly, looking up to meet Elijah's eyes again as his face softened slightly. That was the last thing Elijah had expected her to say. "And it terrifies me, Elijah. Because being without you for those few months? It was awful." Lily continued, shaking her head as he let her speak. "I thought about you every single day. And I didn't know why you were consuming me and my thoughts, but then I realized that its.. it's because I'm in love with you." She finished, looking up at him as she waited for him to respond. Elijah felt like he was frozen, and he couldn't gather the words to say. He didn't mean to worry her, but he was still trying to process those three words that meant more than he could fathom.

Lily averted her eyes from his, shaking her head quickly as she took a step back. She began to think he wasn't going to say anything at all.

"I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but-" Lily started, but Elijah cut her off by pulling her towards him, crashing his lips against hers.

Lily quickly melted into the kiss, wrapping her arms around his neck as he cupped her cheeks. This kiss was different than the others they had shared. It held more desperation, more passion, more love.

Elijah pulled away after a few moments, but only slightly so that his lips were mere inches from hers.

"I love you." Elijah spoke softly, his eyes darting between Lily's as he cupped her cheeks with his hands. "More than you will ever know." He had been hesitant to say it, due to his past, but it felt right in the moment. He knew his feelings towards Lily were real; they were something he had never experienced before.

Lily smiled softly at him, relieved that he felt the same way. She honestly hadn't expected him to say it back, considering he wasn't one to let people in.

"Will you stay with me tonight?" Lily asked, watching as Elijah hesitated slightly. He knew his mother would probably want him at the house with everyone. "Please?" She asked again, looking up into his eyes as he nodded slightly, caving in.

"Of course." Elijah replied, retracting his hands from her face before leading Lily to her bed.

Lily followed after him, watching as he slid his jacket off, leaving him in a button-up shirt. He then pushed the sheets to the side, sliding in and scooting over, his arm extended for Lily as he laid down.

Lily slid in next to him, cuddling up to his chest as he pulled the covers over them, making sure she was warm.

"Thank you." Lily whispered, resting her head on his chest as he wrapped his arms around her.

"You mean the world to me." Elijah stated, stroking her hair gently as he spoke the words that made her stomach do back-flips. She ran her hand over his chest gently, sliding it over the material of his shirt. Elijah felt a shiver go down his spine at her touch, and he was still amazed at the effect she had on him.

"Rebekah apologized to me tonight." Lily spoke, glancing up at Elijah. "She said she was sorry for how she acted when I met her." She added, causing Elijah to shake his head in disbelief.

"She must be starting to like you, then." Elijah said, causing Lily to laugh quietly, knowing Rebekah's usual attitude.

"I hope so, because Klaus already hates me." She replied, causing Elijah to shake his head slightly.

"Niklaus doesn't realize how he comes across to other people sometimes." Elijah explained, meeting Lily's eyes as she furrowed her eyebrows slightly. "I won't let him hurt you again, though." He added, causing Lily to smile slightly.

"My hero." Lily replied playfully, leaning up to press her lips against his.

Elijah kissed her back, his arm wrapped around her waist as he lifted his free hand to graze his fingers against her cheek softly.

Lily pulled away, fluttering her eyes open to meet his, as he rubbed her cheek gently.

"You should get some sleep." Elijah insisted, causing Lily to nod slightly. He could see how exhausted she was from the ball, and knew she was lacking sleep.

"Okay." Lily responded, leaning her head back against his chest as he pulled her closer.

"Goodnight, my love." Elijah whispered, and Lily could feel the warmth radiating from his body to hers. They fit together perfectly.

"Goodnight, Elijah." Lily replied, closing her eyes as she drifted off to sleep.

That night, they both slept better than they ever had.

--

short chapter but they finally said it :')
alsoooo i posted a new story!! it's a kol mikaelson fic called lucky strike - go check it out!