IX

Chapter # 9: Short-lived happiness.

"My past is an armor I cannot take off, no matter how many times you tell me the war is over."
- Jessica Katoff.

Song recommendation:

Fight song- Rachel Platten

*****************************

Nobody ever told me what is the meaning of happiness. I asked many but no one told me the real meaning. Mathilda always said that happiness is something you feel.
It's a different feeling for everybody.
Some people feel happy as triumph, relief, comfort, love, etc.

Is what I am feeling right now feelings of happiness?

After I destroyed her dreams of being the Queen?

I let out a light cackle as I enter the wing and plop myself down on the sofa.

If I have this much authority here, then no one can say anything to me. That means I can leave my fears behind. It's time that I start to live my life.

I turned my head as the door opened and in came a smiling and amused Vladimir.

He started clapping and I stood up and bowed dramatically.

A knock resonated through the room. We both looked towards the door as two maids came in with food.

I wasn't paying attention to them but when the maid with blonde hair put the food on the table I saw the beginnings of little black veins from her ankle. Her socks were pulled down a little and her dress rose a bit to give me a perfect view of what I saw.

I snapped my head towards her and startled by my action, she looks towards me. But she soon realized what I saw and in an instant, she pulled up her sock and left the room in a hurry.

I watched her leave in disbelief.
This isn't possible. Is it? She can't be what I think. Why does she have a mark?

"Where do these maids come from?" I shifted my attention towards Xavier.

"They are the lowest-ranking members of the kingdom and they come here willingly." He said while settling himself in front of me.

I sat up straight.
"You mean, whoever wants to works here, you let them."

He shook his head." No. Proper training and investigation are held and when all is clear they are appointed here."

I nodded my head in understanding.