XXXVII

Chapter # 37 : Kings and Queens.

It was love at first sight,
At last sight, at ever and ever sight.”
              — Vladimir  Nabokov.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adrienne's P.O.V.

Sometimes sadness doesn't feel like sadness. You know you are utterly and hopelessly sad when you feel nothing. The emptiness inside your hollow heart echoes. It tells you that the gaping hole left in the heart is not filling anytime soon and everything gets numb.

I don't know if I am sad and if I have accepted it or if I am denying it. Because there is not way that he could be..

I can't even think about that. My head hurts as I push myself up from the king sized bed.
I don't know where I am. When I woke up I was here in a big room. I don't know how I got here or how much time has passed or where I am? And I honestly don't care.

My feet dingle from the bed as sit up. This felt like a workout. I place my bloodied hands on the edge of the bed and plant my feet on the ground.

And just as I touch the ground, I go down. My legs give out and my body collides with the plush carpet.
I feel tingles in my back and then I feel my wings appear.

I grunt as I get up. My wings scarp on the floor as I make my way to the door in front of me. I place my hand on the handle and it's locked. I twist it around some more and put all my strength into it. I pant as I rest my head on the door. My wings feel heavy. My life feels heavy.

I gulp as I look around the room and spot another door at the corner of the room.

I go towards it and yank it open. It's not the exit. It's a bathroom. I go inside and stand in front of the mirror. My dull blue eyes with red rims stare back at me. My clothes are covered with blood. Blood of many. Even my own. Even his. My hands are red with dried blood.

I take a deep breath and open the tap for the bathtub. I wait as I let it fill.

I look back in the mirror and pull my wings back as they vanish along with my horns.

Now, there stands a murderer in front of me. Covered with blood of her victims. My heart thuds in my ribcage as things start to go blurry.

My mouth opens as shaky breath leaves me.

You killed him.

I hear it close to my ear.

Mother's voice.

I shake my head. You killed him like you killed me.

I gulped and suddenly the walls seemed to close in.

“ I didn't want to. He can't be dead.” My voice sounded hoarse and dead.

You are always the reason why people end up dead. Do you think you're special? No! You should die too.

I shake my head. I put my hands on my ears to block out her voice. She ain't real. She is dead. She is dead.

Yes! I am dead just like Vladimir. Due to you.

“ NO! HE ISN'T DEAD!” My voice cracks as my knees touch the ground.

He is. You saw his heart stop. You saw his lifeless body. You feel empty. There is no connection anymore.

I hiss in frustration and fist my hair. I start to rock back and forth on the ground.

If you continue to be stubborn, a lot of fey people will die. Just because you were too afraid. You have everything right here with you. This is for Vladimir.