Chapter 27 Surprise sweets

Today seemed to be a normal day at St Marie Academy. There was no cake competition today and the students were doing the usual studying and making sweets. Vanilla, Chocolat, Café, and Caramel were having a chat with each other, when suddenly an elderly male sweets spirit appeared in front of them. The sweets spirit introduced himself as Dabaron and that he served the queen and was an examiner. He explained to Chocolat, Vanilla, Café, and Caramel that they hadn't been sending any cards to the queen lately so they would need to take an exam at the kingdom of the sweets. "It is true our partners have been concentrating on the cake Grand Prix lately, which is why we haven't sent any cards," said Café. Dabaron then told them if they didn't pass the exam they would not be allowed to go back to the human world again. "I'm sorry but that is the rules, so pack up all your things and come back to the kingdom tonight". Vanilla, Chocolat, Café, and Caramel were horrified about that; leaving their partners was something that they didn't want to do.

That night Vanilla told Ichigo right away about her having to take an important exam at the kingdom of the sweets. Vanilla felt like crying because she didn't want to leave Ichigo. "You can pass this exam Vanilla," said Ichigo "you work very hard all the time and I believe in you". Vanilla was happy to have a friend like Ichigo. Café and Caramel told their partners too about the exam and that they had to go back to the kingdom of the sweets. Satsuki and Sennosuke wished Café and Caramel a lot of luck and told them that they believed that they could pass. Chocolat tried to tell Makato too, but she wasn't able to actually tell him because Makato didn't exactly listen to hear what she had to say. Soon it was time for the sweets spirits to go back to the kingdom of the sweets. Ichigo saw Vanilla off and wished her luck again. "Do your best Vanilla!" said Ichigo. "I will" replied Vanilla. Then with her magic, she went through the portal in the school oven.

Vanilla flew all the way to the castle and into a cooking room where the others were waiting for her. "You're late Vanilla" complained Chocolate. "Sorry, I had to ask where the exam was taking place," said Vanilla. Just then Dabaron entered the kitchen. "You are four remember what the day after tomorrow is right?" he asked. "I remember," said Café "it's the anniversary of the day when our queen became queen of the kingdom of the sweets". "That's correct," said Dabaron "and this year to celebrate her anniversary we are going to decorate the plaza with beautiful art sculptures made out of sweets. So for your exam you four will create a sculpture made out of sweets for the plaza. The theme is surprise sweets and that means you have to make everyone say wow when they see your sweets and to make the anniversary exciting. I expect that you will make wonderful sweets". Then he left the room.

"Oh boy this might be harder than I thought," said Vanilla. "What should we do?" asked Caramel. "I suggest that we each draw of what surprise sweets we would do," said Vanilla. The others thought that was a good idea and they began to draw. Caramel drew a picture of a scary skulled zombie. "That's obviously no good!" shouted Chocolat, who was terrified of the picture. Vanilla's drawing was of a resort and she explained that the pool would be filled with jelly, with a doughnut inner tube and the showed would have whipped cream poured out of it. "Do excuse me but that's too sticky," said Café, honestly. Café thought they should do a castle made out of sweets, but Vanilla and Chocolat reminded him that they did that on New Year's Eve. Chocolate's drawings were some of some famous paintings like the Mona Lisa or the birth of Venus but designed with Chocolat as the character. Vanilla, Café, and Caramel all agreed that those were no good either. "Oh dear, all this thinking isn't getting us anywhere," said Vanilla. Chocolat suggested they made a sweet out of the specialty, but all that did was make the spirits argue about which part should be chocolate, vanilla, caramel or coffee-flavored.

By that time it was getting very late, so the sprits stopped thinking and went to bed. Vanilla, Caramel, and Café were starting to miss their partners. To Vanilla, Ichigo was like a sister to her. To Caramel, Sennosuke was an elder brother figure to her. To Café, Satsuki was a sempai to him. Chocolat did miss Makato, but because of her pride, she didn't admit it much.

Back at St Marie Academy Makato was starting to feel a little worried. He hadn't seen Chocolat for ages yesterday and this morning he realized that she didn't come back to the dorm last night. He started looking for her everywhere around the dorm and the school grounds. While outside he ran into Ichigo and told her that he couldn't find Chocolat. "Didn't Chocolat tell you that she and the others were going back to the kingdom of the sweets?" asked Ichigo. She explained to Makato that the spirits had to go back to the kingdom for an exam because they didn't send enough cards to the queen. "I see," said Makato "we have only been concentrating on the cake grand Prix lately. And that is why they're gone". He remembered that Chocolat tried to tell him something last night, but he didn't listen to what she wanted to say. "Our sweets spirits will pass the exam and come back I know they will," said Ichigo "they are smart so they will pass without a doubt. I believe in them". "You're right Amano," said Kashino "there is no way they would fail". Makato did have a little faith in Chocolat.

Back in the kingdom of the sweets, it was another day and Vanilla, Chocolat, Café, and Caramel were still wondering what sweets they should make for tomorrow. Right now they had made genoise cakes in flavors that were their specialty. Genoise cakes were normal Italian sponge cakes. "What should we do?" asked Café "I mean if we make just one whole cake with these four different flavored cakes the flavors will get mixed up and it would turn out awful". "Oh I wish Ichigo was here with me," said Vanilla "she would help me figure out what to do". Chocolat huffed. "Sure she does come up with good ideas," she said, "but I very much doubt she would come up for something like this". Vanilla was cross with that comment. "I don't imagine Kashino coming up with something like this either," she said. Chocolat glared. "Come that's enough," said Café. "Yeah we still need to think of something for our creation," said Caramel. Chocolat and Vanilla stopped arguing.

Just then Chocolat had a thought. "Maybe we can make our creation with all our specialties," she thought. She explained to the others about petits fours. Petits fours were small appetizers of cakes. "Oh yes I know those," said Vanilla "Ichigo and I visited a cake shop that sold little cakes. There are so small that a human can eat them whole like popcorn". "Yeah let's do that" agreed Café. So Chocolat, Vanilla, Café, and Caramel got to work on making lots of different petits fours for their creation of sweets.

The next day it was the celebration of the queen's crowning anniversary. All the sweets spirits, who had made sweets, were all at the plaza with their creations. There was a statue of an elephant balancing on a big ball, a big bouquet of flowers, a peacock and a big pink poodle and they were all made out of sweets. The queen, with Dabaron, arrived at the plaza and she tasted all the sweet creations to mark them. Finally, it was Chocolat, Vanilla, Caramel and Café's turn to reveal their creation. They created a sculpture of the queen, made out of different petits fours. They loved their queen, so they decided to do a sculpture of her. Dabaron thought this was insulting, but the queen thought it was interesting. She tried a bit of the sculpture liked looked like a jewel and realized it was a small raspberry tart. Vanilla, Chocolat, Café, and Caramel explained their plan of using petits fours for their creation. The queen thought it was a very good creation and accepted it.

Vanilla, Chocolat, Café, and Caramel made a sweets card of their creation and gave it to the queen. When the queen got it, the card glowed a golden color, just before she placed it in the book. The queen thanked everyone and then went back to the castle. Dabaron turned to the four spirits. "Well you four," he said, "after that I can clearly say that you four have passed the exam". "Does this mean we can go back to St Marie Academy?" asked Caramel. "Yes it does," answered Dabaron "but you must make sure to send more sweets cards". The spirits promised.

After the celebration was all over, Vanilla, Chocolat, Café, and Caramel went back to St Marie Academy. It was night time by now and their partners were all asleep. The spirits were happy to be back with their partners again.

The end.

1587 words hope you like it.