SEVEN

BLACK HORSE AND THE CHERRY TREE // KT TUNSTALL

NOTHING STAYS BURRIED

"LOOK WE just wanna talk to him," Dean pleads with Andrea.

"He won't say anything. What good's it gonna do?"

"Andrea, we think more people might get hurt," Sam uses his puppy-dog eyes again, "we think something's happening."

"My husband, the others," Andrea sighs in frustration, "they just drowned. That's all."

"If that's what you believe, then we'll go. But if you think there's even a possibility that something else could be going on here, please let me talk to your son," Campbell softly speaks.

Andrea reluctantly gives in and leads the Winchesters down the hallway to Lucas's room. He's drawing - no surprise - so Dean takes it as an opportunity to step into his room. He kneels before him, "Hey, Lucas, you remember me?"

Silence. 

Dean sifts through the drawings, and Campbell notices they're all pictures of red bikes. What could that possibly mean? There's gotta be dozens of them, all identical. 

"You know, I just wanted to thank you for my last picture," Dean continues, "but the thing is, I need your help again." He unfolds the picture Lucas gave him earlier. "How did you know this was going to happen? Maybe you could give me a nod for yes or no..."

Silence. 

"You're scared, but that's okay," Dean's voice is barely above a whisper now, "you know when I was your age... I saw something really bad happen to my mom." Sam gives Campbell a look and she nods her head. "And I was scared too. I didn't feel like talking, just like you. But see, my mom... I know she wanted me to be brave. And I think about that every day... And I do my best to be brave. Maybe your dad wants you to be brave, too."

Lucas stops drawing and looks up at Dean. Andrea's in shock, her face goes blank as she looks to Sam and Campbell for some sort of explanation. 

The kid moves slowly to pick up one of his drawings and hold it out to Dean. They all watch while holding their breaths as Dean gingerly takes it from him. It's another house, but this one's yellow. To its right stands a tall white church with a beautiful stained-glass window in the center of its steeple. A long picket fence is on its left side, accompanied by a little boy in a baseball cap and a red bike

"Thanks, Lucas."

"Andrea said Lucas never drew like that until his dad died," Campbell pipes up from the backseat.