Chapter 14: surprises

Kids

Michaels pov

Everyone was looking at me with such heart break that I was beginning to doubt if it was a good idea to make the joke I just made.

“Kidding?”

And promptly there was an angry, but at the same time relieved, looking Emily besides me. Her eyes showed worry and happiness but her face was in a frown and it didn’t suit her.

“I’m sorry, love, of course I know you who are. I could never forget you.”

Slowly a smile, and a small blush, made its way to her face and she hugged me tight. Tears stained my shirt and I knew she was silently crying.

“You scared me, but I’m so glad that you are okay.”

We talked for a bit and I learned I had been in a coma for the last three months. After an hour of me just learning new facts about my family the door opened and Claire and Aiden walked in. As soon as they saw me they burst into tears, just like Emily had done, and they rushed to me and engulfed me in a hug.

Claire told me all about how happy she was with the fact Aiden was now really her brother. And Aiden couldn’t stop talking about a boy he had met, apparently he was new here, just moved here from the US and that they liked each other. He also told me they aren’t in a relationship yet because he wanted me and Emily to meet him first.

Claire was bragging about that she was the one who introduced them because he had thought he would be a good boyfriend for Aiden.

“How about we have a dinner with all of us when I get out of here?” Aiden thanked me and Emily seemed to think it was a good idea too.

A nurse had heard all the commotion and came to look from where it came, she was happily pleased with the fact I was awake and everything seemed to function normal. The doctor, who she had called, told me I could go home tomorrow morning.

-

Emily came to pick me up and seemed to struggle to tell me something. Pulling her next to me, so I could keep her as a support, I put my arm around her waist and smiled at her.

“What’s bothering you, sweet?”

Then the tears came back. She couldn’t understand why I would do something like that, attacking Nathan and risking my life. She told me how Aiden had been a witness at the court case and how they had won, Nathan has a life sentence, without the ability to get out earlier.

“Because I love you, simple as that.”

The world had known about me being in the hospital so it wasn’t a surprise to see the camera flashes outside the hospital or our house. Hopefully they would leave us alone soon so we could just be a family for once.

Everyone was at the house when we arrived. They had organized a party. Even some of our old friend were there and all were happy I was okay again. But luckily it wasn’t that late when everyone left and we could just relax a bit at home.

-

Emily’s pov

I was so thankful Michael was okay again, I wouldn’t know what I would have done if it hadn’t turned out like this. He was home and Nathan was gone, he won’t be able to hurt us anymore.

Today Aiden wanted to have that dinner that Michael suggested. I thought it was a weird way to start a relationship, they weren’t even dating yet but here they were meeting the parents of the one the like.

“What are you making for tonight?”

Michael was working in the kitchen and it smelled delicious. He could stand on his own again, but when he wants to walk he had to use crutches. Stopping what he was doing he turned to me and smiled.

“Your favorite. Lasagna and chocolate strawberries.” [AN: I don’t know her favorite anymore, its somewhere in the first book..I’m sorry.]

At seven there was a knock at the door and because Aiden was still getting ready upstairs I decided to open the door. In front of me was a lovely looking couple, only a few years your then me and Michael and the boy by their side should be Louis.

“Hello, come on in. I’m Emily, lovely to meet you.” I told them while I shook their hands.

I got a smile and a response of their names, Thomas and Elaine, in return. Louis shook my hand and gave me here kisses on the cheek, he was a well-mannered boy. Michael came out of the kitchen, introduced himself and asked them if they wanted something to drink. When we were seated in the living room Aiden walked in and shook their hands.

The evening had been wonderful. Thomas and Elaine were lovely people and I could see Aiden and Louis being together for a while. Michael had offered to have a drink, and dessert, on the veranda. Happily Thomas and Elaine agreed and we made our way to the sliding doors which led outside.

Elaine stopped for a second to look at the birth certificates, of Claire and Aiden, I had hang next to the doors. “They have wonderful names. And look Thomas, Aiden has your name too.”

I thanked her for the compliment and now that I thought about it Aiden’s second name was indeed Thomas. “The coincidence, it’s funny.”

While the sun was setting the conversation changed to why Elaine and Thomas had decided to move here. As a answer I got that Thomas was from here and they wanted something else.

“Really? How long have you lived in America then?”

“22 or 23 years. Had to move because my sister was too young to take care of me after my parents dies.”

And to say I felt how he felt wasn’t a lie. The sadness that filled his voice and his eyes made me feel bad for him. His story made me think about my past. Something I hadn’t thought about for a long time. And somehow I could imagine this man, this grown man, as a scared 15/16 year old boy, being taken away from everything that was familiar.

Letting out a gasp tears filled my eyes and I quickly excused myself. I could hear the confused murmurs behind me while I made my way inside. Going to the master bedroom I grabbed my box filled with old pictures and got out an really old picture that was taken from my family. Me, my parents and my little brother on a trip we had shared to the zoo, two weeks after that they had gone on the holiday.

Taking the picture with me I walked downstairs and outside. Wordlessly I sat down and handed Thomas, who looked confused, the picture and I looked at Michael. Hoping I was right, and didn’t just completely humiliated myself, I dares myself to look at the couple sat across from me. Thomas his eyes were fixed on me and Elaine was rubbing his arm.

“Em?”

And the tears once again started when I nodded. Because yes, I had been right and I had found my brother.