Chapter 15: The Jura Forest Alliance

The day after the defeat of the Demon Lord Geld, representatives of each race gathered together to discuss what would happen after the battle. The meeting was held in the Lizardmen's throne room. Rimuru sat on Shion's lap in his slime form on a bench with Souei and Kumiko to his right and Benimaru and Hakurou to his left. Shuna and Kurobe had stayed behind at the village. In front of Rimuru to the right sat a fair number of Orcs. Across from them sat Treyni, the Lizardmen and goblins.

Kumiko stood almost stiffly, as the unknown feeling came back when she spotted the chieftain's daughter enter the room, her eyes scanning the room and brightening ever so slightly when they landed on Souei. Souei's gaze didn't come close to meeting the female lizardman, nor did he make any movement to indicate even recognizing her presence, but Kumiko's unease rose despite all that. Since Kumiko and Souei had jumped in to defeat the small army that broke off in her stead, Kumiko had a growing dislike for the lizardman captain who seemingly sought out Souei. It was minute, but Kumiko always noticed it and it bothered her unbelievably so.

From beside her, Souei could feel her tension, though he didn't understand what caused it. He followed her gaze to the female lizardman, who slightly blushed when Souei's gaze landed on her, not that Souei realized. He was confused. Kumiko showed great dislike for the two siblings despite the female lizardman not having even held a full conversation with her. His gaze traveled back to Kumiko, who's anger seemed to be rising with every second that passed by.

Kumiko, calm yourself, Souei's voice rang in her head. He was facing straight ahead, but Kumiko could see him looking at her out of the corner of his eye worriedly. She said nothing in reply, but buried her rage, if only temporarily. She didn't understand it herself, but it wasn't the time to let her emotions be. This conference was to decide the fate of the Orcs and had to be taken seriously.

"Chairman Rimuru Tempest, please begin the conference," Treyni requested. Rimuru looked over at Treyni, as if wondering why she wasn't leading the meeting. Treyni said nothing and only offered him a smile.

"Uh... I've never led a meeting like this before, so it's not my strong suit," Rimuru started. "So I'll just say what's on my mind. I'd like you to save your deliberations until after that." The entire room remained silent, so Rimuru took that as a silent confirmation and continued.

"I'll start by saying this: I don't intend to charge the Orcs with any crimes." The orcs looked at each other in shock and confusion at Rimuru's declaration.

"I know this may upset the Lizardmen, who suffered the most casualties, but hear me out. The cause of all this was starvation due to a famine. Anyone, of any race, might have made the same choices under those conditions. Of course, this is just my public stance on the matter."

"Then may we hear your personal thoughts on it, as well?" the lizardmen chieftain asked. Rimuru hesitated for a second before he answered.

"I've taken all of the Orcs' sins upon myself. If anyone has a complaint, bring it up to me."

"P-Please, wait!" one of the orcs said standing up. He was the orc king's son. "Surely there is no logic to -"

"That was my promise with the Demon Lord Geld," Rimuru interrupted, silencing his protest. The orc gasped, before sitting down with his head hung. All the orcs looked morbid. They knew their actions were not easily forgiven, even if Rimuru claimed to be taking their sins.

"I see," the chieftain commented as he crossed his arms in thought. "However, I feel that answer is somewhat unfair."

Rimuru didn't have an answer to that, but Benimaru stepped up, standing slightly in front of Rimuru to address the lizardmen.