Chapter 18: Evil Creeps Closer

Kumiko and Souei appeared in the forest to the west of the town, their hands held together. They had managed to get away from the meetings and the humans where they had to maintain professionalism in attempts to not disgrace Rimuru. The two Kijin were in what could be considered their honeymoon phase of their relationship. The acknowledgment of their feelings recently now allowed them to express their affections, and they were doing just that.

Despite telling Rimuru that they were going to check the borders, Souei and Kumiko were in actuality just taking a stroll through the forest. For the most part, Souei's body doubles had already done it during the meeting, to which Kumiko and Souei had bickered about again, and the security teams were doing a great job at protecting the city without having the Kijin involved.

As the two walked, Kumiko had somehow found herself with Souei's hand resting on her opposite hip, tucked nicely to his side. They made idle chatter and bickered about senseless things. Every so often, Souei would lean over and kiss Kumiko on the side of her head or her horn and she would blush slightly at the action. Despite them having kissed multiple times now and their affectionate displays were abundant, she couldn't calm her racing heart whenever the seemingly stoic blue kijin would show her his love. Kumiko couldn't help but wrap her own arms tightly around his torso, leading him to complain that he couldn't walk. That only made her all the more determined to hang onto him as he tried to pry her off.

Souei's attempts to get the giggling female off of him were stopped when a recognizable voice called through the forest for him. Kumiko tensed, glaring in front of them in the direction as she latched on tighter to Souei. Soka made her way through the brushes, slightly out of breath. Souei sighed, knowing that she definitely wouldn't let go now, and simply brought his hand to rest on her hip lightly.

"Souei-sama!" the lizard called adoringly as she approached them. She gave Kumiko a slight glare, to which Kumiko returned with her own glare.

"Souei-sama, I've been looking everywhere for you. I need to talk to you alone," Soka said as she stopped a few feet away from them and took a knee. Kumiko's eyes narrowed as she took in the lizard's stance. Kumiko had vowed to herself to not say her cursed name until she had given her reason to respect her and had resorted to the term 'lizard,' a fairly derogatory term for the dragonnewts.

"What needs to be said can be said with Kumiko here," Souei stated stoically as he looked at the dragonnewt under his training.

"I-it's a private matter," Soka stuttered out, trying to find a way to get Souei alone. At this, Kumiko let go of Souei and stood directly between him and the lizard, her golden eyes clearly unhappy.

"What kind of private matter would require me to leave you alone with my Souei?" Kumiko asked as she glared at Soka, her aura flaring dangerously around her. Soka looked up returned it with another glare of her own, although she was plenty scared. "If anything, as another female, private matters should be discussed with me. If it is something regarding your position or training as a spy, both Souei and I have already announced that we are co-leading the group, and therefore I see no reason for me to leave."

"I-It really is a private matter. Please, Souei-sama." Soka chose to ignore Kumiko, which only caused more rage to accumulate inside of Kumiko's heart. Her aura flared more, putting more pressure on the lizard.

Souei gently pulled the angry Kijin back into his arms, wrapping them around her waist with her back pressed to his front and his chin resting slightly on her shoulder. He placed a gentle kiss behind her ear and a subsequent one on her horn.

"Go scout the other side of the forest for now. I will talk to her." Kumiko turned her head slightly to look at Souei with shock and disbelief in her eyes.