Chapter 16: Demon Lord Milim Attacks

Souei stared straight at Kumiko, his blue eyes wide and cheeks flushed. Kumiko still had her hands wrapped around his neck as she happily stared back. Kumiko had sat up straight on her bed, her legs tucked under her. The struggle Souei put up to get out of her grasp had ceased, and he simply stood there in shock, slightly bent down since Kumiko was pulling him towards her.

"W-What?" His mind had fried with her simple sentence, and he couldn't comprehend anything at the moment. In his shock, he snapped out of his drunken haze and stared to sober up.

"I love you!" Kumiko repeated again with a bright smile on her face. She pulled Souei into a hug, nuzzling her head against his shoulder, her horns ever so slightly poking him. Reflexively, his own arms wrapped around to the small of her back, but his head was still swimming.

Kumiko rubbed her face back and forth on his shirt before she froze, and then pushed Souei off of her, albeit very lightly. Souei leaned back slightly, his hand still locked behind her back as her hand came between the two, pointing up at Souei from under his chin and glaring at him.

"You! I don't like that chieftain's daughter. She's not allowed to touch you!" Kumiko paused in the middle of her sentence, and then her expression morphed into hurt as tears formed at the corner of her eyes before she started crying.

"... but you let her touch you!" Kumiko complained, using her head to hit against Souei's shoulder.

"Kumiko, your horns!" Souei quickly let go of the hug, gently stopping her from hitting her head on him by holding her face by her cheeks. They were heated, though Souei wasn't sure if it was the alcohol or if she was blushing from their conversation like he was. She puffed her cheeks at being stopped.

"You're still upset about the lizardman guard?" Souei voiced in confusion. The two of them hadn't had any close interaction with the lizardmen in three months. Even if the two of them followed Rimuru during his diplomatic trips to the marshlands, they stayed a fair distance away or scouted the area. Since that day when Kumiko had forced him to use [Shadow Movement], he would disappear or make an excuse to try to stay out of the marshland. He hadn't ever fully understood, but wanting to keep Kumiko happy was enough for him to obey.

"Of course I am! Every time we go to the marshlands, even if we stay away, she's always looking for you and trying to get you to look at her. When you're not there, she asks for you with that stupid blush on her face. She can't have you!" Kumiko continued crying uncontrollably, the alcohol she drank impairing any ability for her to manage her emotions and stop running her mouth. Souei sighed, finally understanding her anger towards the female lizardman and using his thumbs to slightly wipe away her tears before sitting down on the side of her bed. As he settled, he gently pulled Kumiko in his lap, her legs slung across him as he pressed her head against him and leaned his own head on hers. Her own hands laid limp in her lap as her cries died down to hiccups.

As they sat there in silence, save for Kumiko's hiccupping, Kumiko began to sober up. Her cheeks flamed more, if that was possible, as she realized what she was saying, and the position she found herself in, but she closed her eyes and calmed herself. It was a shame she only realized her feelings while drunk, but since they were here now, she would spill it all to him without holding back; she would tell him the feelings she denied because she didn't understand and the feelings she suppressed inside of her because it bared her heart. Souei looked down slightly, seeing that her golden eyes were clear, indicating that, while still somewhat drunk, she had full control over herself and her emotions. He said nothing and simply tightened his arms around her, pressing her further into him.

"Shuna told me this was jealousy; not liking her because she wanted to be close to you that is," Kumiko said after a few moments as the hiccuping died down. Souei hummed, telling her that he was listening as he continued holding her. "I felt it when we fought that branch of the Orc Army for her. You held her in your arms and you didn't even look at me. I got mad, but I didn't understand. I wanted to yell at you, but I didn't know why, and so I tried my best to ignore you instead."