I

"Golden Girl, Y/N wins Best Actress for her role in the drama film Free."

The press was filled with my name the morning after the Oscars. To say I was elated was an understatement, I was on top of the world.

Free is a movie with a simple plot really. It was a story about bullying. A collection of stories that happened to a young girl. The thing with Free is that it was full of scenarios which can happen to anyone you know. Free grabbed hearts.

That and the fact that my co-star was Johnny Depp didn't hurt.

I leaned back on my seat and bit on my toast. Nothing can bring my mood down.

I heard my phone receive messages so I stood and picked it up from its charging place by the tv. There were a few congratulatory messages from friends from middle school and a few from family members. I read them and thanked them for their support while finishing my toast.

And then I received a message from Joe Jonas on Instagram.

Hey, Y/N. I saw the news! Congrats! The movie was amazing!

I felt a tug of pain in my heart. Joe was admittedly one of my best friends ever since I started in Disney back in 2007. We were close even before I dated his brother, Nick from late 2007 until 2012. That was when he decided to date Olivia. I haven't spoken to him much these days and it has been six years since our split.

I bit my lip, thinking if I should reply to him.

Hey Joey! Thanks! Send my regards to your fam, ok? I miss you guys!

It was not just Nick I lost when we broke up. It was Joe. It was Kevin. It was Frankie. It was his entire family. And I missed them. I really do.

But the break up was difficult for me and I had sunk into a long wave of depression that I basically cut off ties with anyone who could remind me of Nick. My psychiatrist helped a lot and got me back on my feet. I owed Dr. Rose my life.

Joe's reply snapped me out of my thoughts.

You free for lunch?

Is it really time for me to see him? It has after all been six years. With clammy hands, I typed in a yes. It is time to do this, I decided.

Joe was a pretty casual texter that morning. I missed his stories and he had a lot of them. I smiled weakly when I read his messages, it feels nice to talk to him again.

We agreed to meet in a restaurant. He said he was in the area and he wanted to try this new upcoming Asian restaurant. I lived in Beverly Hills and it was a fairly new purchase, Joe didn't know it of yet.

After breakfast, I started getting ready. The Oscar news would mean that paparazzi will come for me. The fact that I will be having lunch with my ex's brother would also cause quite a stir. I didn't want to be in various gossip sites looking like I haven't slept in days - which is actually the case.

The drive was quick. I knew my way around and true enough, the moment I stepped out of the car, cameras followed. I only smiled at the cameras, I've always been grateful for the fame I have right now so I tried to be as polite as I can, as long as they don't get in my face.

I stepped in the restaurant and reveled at the amazing smell of herbs and spices. I pulled my sunglasses off and saw Joe who was smiling at me.

"Joey!"
"Y/N! Gawd, I missed you!"

We shared a hug and he pulled out a seat for me.

"How does it feel to be Best Actress, hm? I can't believe it! We used to goof around the set and now, you're an award-winning actress!" He grinned.

I appeared in the Jonas series twice as a guest star. Joe and I used to try and make each other laugh while on camera.

"I remember that! How have you been?" I took the menu from the waitress and turned to Joe, "I love your songs! DNCE is amazing."

Joe smirked, "Of course we are! I am amazing. Thank you! Thank you!" He waved to an invisible crowd.

I laughed. "Shall we order before you get so full of yourself?"

"Mmm, wait." Joe looked up and stared at the door, "We're still waiting for someone."

"Joey. No. You didn't!" I gasped at him.

But it was too late.

The door opened and I took a deep breath before turning my eyes at the third person in this lunch date.

He still hasn't changed.

"Nicky, my brother!" Joe greeted the other Jonas warmly.

Nick's eyes turned to me after greeting Joe. He still had that intense gaze. "Hi."

I opened my mouth and tried to look for anything to say.