IV

Paris made her heart alive.

Paris woke up something in her that she didn't realize was sleeping all along.

She knew it was ridiculous but -

My phone rang.

I looked up from my book and placed a bookmark between the pages. Who would be calling me this early? Holly promised she would give me the week off because I've done such a great job on the movie. My assistant, Hannah was taking her own week off.

I grabbed my phone from the table beside my lounge chaise and saw the name on the screen. Nick? Why was he calling?

Should I answer it? Of course I should!

"Hey." I picked up after it continued ringing.

"Hey. So when do you think we can start working on the song?" Nick was forward. This was what he aimed to do and he wanted go get it over with.

I laughed, "Wow. Slow down, Jonas."

I heard him chuckle in the other end of the line, "Sorry. Having a song undone makes me uneasy." Whenever he worked on something, Nick finished it as soon as he can.

"You can't wait to be busy, huh?" I asked.

"Yeah. I needed to take my mind off things." He admitted. "Are you busy? Sorry. I didn't consider your schedule."

I smiled. He can be considerate. "I'm free this week, actually."

There was a pause in the line and then, "We can meet up so you can learn the lyrics." Nick suggested.

"You can come over." This is a bad idea but why am I not stopping this call?

I wanted to see him. I know I do. I just don't know if I can handle another heartbreak - if we even go there.

Alright. I took a deep breath. I will stop myself if we do get there, right? I can. I will. Right?

"Sure. Send me your address. I'll be there tomorrow? I'll just edit the lyrics so it will be perfect tomorrow." I could hear his smile from the other end. "I'll see you, Y/N." It was the first time he actually mentioned my name. It felt so familiar. It was as thought things never changed.

I smiled, "Sure Nick. I'll send you my address."

We hang up and I leaned back on my seat. What am I getting myself into?

_________________________________________

I was nervous.

I kept on glancing at mirrors in my house to see if I look presentable. I could feel my heart beat fast as I waited for Nick. I actually changed four times today - I ended up with casual jeans and white shirt. My hair was tied in a high bun and I put on a bit of make up to cover my dark circles.

"Miss? Mr. Jonas is on his way in. The front gate just called." I heard my housekeeper tell me.

"Alright." I stood up from my bed and went downstairs to meet him. A Mustang parked in front of my front door - is this his? I opened the door and stepped out. Nick got out of his car and smiled at me, I had to bite my lip to keep myself from smiling. He took his guitar from the passenger's seat and walked towards me.

"Hey. We match." He chuckled. I frowned in confusion. "Shirt and jeans?"

"Oh. Right. Coincidence. " I led him inside the house and took him to the living room. "Have you eaten your breakfast?"

Nick followed me inside, "I did. I didn't want to impose."

"Oh I don't mind. I'll get lunch ready later." I told him as we took our seats on the sofa.

"You cook now?" He took his guitar from its case.

I opened my mouth to say I've always cooked but I remembered I only started after we split up. "Yes. I learned when I started living alone."

He seemed to realize what I meant so he nodded. Nick took out two copies of lyrics and he handed me the other. "Ready?"

"Let's start." I turned my body towards him and smiled, waiting for him to start.

He started playing and singing and I saw the boyfriend I had. Nick had bigger hair and a goofier smile. The Nick now had sleeker hair and a walled up demeanor.

"So, do you like it?" Nick grinned at me. He put his guitar aside and looked expectantly at me.

"Oh, I love it! What was the title again?"

He chuckled, "When you look me in the eyes."

"That's a mouthful." I pouted, "But the song, the lyrics is amazing, Nick. Your fans with love it."

Nick gave me a quick kiss, "Thanks. I really hope they like it.

I watched him sadly. The memories were coming back to me and it just makes me feel sad about what happened to us.

"I like it, Nick. This will be a big hit." I nodded at him. "Help me learn the song?"

We worked together that morning and decided that after lunch, we'll record us singing in our phones so we'd hear how we sound like.

I told Nick that I was going to prepare lunch and he offered to help since he was already intruding in my day.

"This is really good." Nick said after the first bite. We managed to cook crispy tofu with coconut quinoa and broccolini and tuna salad sandwich. "You cook well."

I smiled, "Thanks but I mean, you helped too."

"Nah. I can't cook. That's why I was asking a lot of questions earlier." He smiled and continued eating, "You changed a lot."

I looked at him in surprise.

"Yeah. You matured. You can cook now. You're living alone. You just won an Oscar. You are conquering the world, Y/N." He gave me a smile.

"You did too. You have your own career. You have an amazing car. You trimmed your hair." We both laughed at this and I continued, "You matured too. You have your own house."

Nick shrugged, "I guess so."

"I guess our break up was for the best, huh?" I didn't know why I even mentioned this but it slipped!

Nick looked at me.

I dread hearing his answer.