XVI

"One more shot. Stay together. That is great. Great!"

Nick turned to look at me, unbothered by the people who would see or if this photo would be on the cover of Vanity Fair. Ever since the secret came out, Nick and I just stopped hiding whatever it is we were holding back.

Our first public appearance together was actually just us deciding to go and get ice cream together. The paparazzi took notice and followed us. Nick held my hand, laced his fingers with mine, and led me away. He even developed this habit where he would unconsciously be on the side where there were more cameras.

We didn't use to show much display of affection. We were teenagers under Disney then and we were both careful about how people viewed us as. We had our reputation to protect. Now, Nick just threw everything out the window. He would kiss me even if we were on public or if there are cameras around for the reason he said that, "You are not a secret to be hidden, Y/N, but an announcement to be shouted about." It was a bit cute.

The Jonases were happy for us too. Joe called me a lot now, so did Frankie. Danielle welcomed me back with open arms saying she knew Nick and I would eventually end up together. Kevin agreed saying his brother never stopped loving me anyway, it was bound to happen.

"Let's have the last set of outfits." The photographer smiled at us as we were led away to change.

The photoshoot featured both the movie (which will be premiering in a few more weeks) and our relationship. We've done the interview and now, this.

Am I happy? Yes. Yes, I am. Contented? Yes. Scared? Still. A bit.

It frightened me about how influential Nick Jonas is in my life. He could potentially cause another big heartache again and this time, I'm not sure if I can recover.

But I try to push the thought out of my mind, especially when I see Nick smile at me. I want to fully trust this person again but there is a small, small part of me which fears him.

"Y/N, ready?"

I snapped out of my trance and gave a ready smile to the staff who escorted me back. Nick was waiting there with a smile.

"What took you so long?" He kissed my forehead.

I looked up and smiled, "The dress didn't fit."

After the photoshoot, I don't know whether to tell Nick about what I felt. But I discovered I don't have much time.

"Baby? I'll be on tour after the premiere." Nick spoke as we drove past the streets of Beverly Hills.

I turned to him and my heart sunk a bit, "I didn't know that."

"Sorry. We announced it winter last year." And when I did my research, it was. He was leaving for a few months. "I will be performing Love Letter in the last stop."

"Oh."

Nick noticed my silence, "Is there anything wrong?"

"We just got back together." I answered him. Trying to win a debate against myself about not bringing the past up but I couldn't help it. "And now, you're leaving again."

He continued driving and didn't speak for a few minutes, "You have your movie to work on. We'll talk on the phone. We can video chat."

"If we can do that consistently." I mumbled.

He didn't answer again until he found a parking spot.

"What do you want me to do, Y/N? Give up my career so we can always be together?" Irritation was dripping off his every word. "I have my life to run, Y/N. You do too."

"I am not asking you to give me 24 damn hours, Nick." I frowned at him, "I don't want to feel like such a beggar again and try and squeeze myself in your schedule."

"A beggar? Really?"

"Yes! This is why we broke up before! You made me feel like such an inconvenience. You only give time when I ask for it!" I took the seatbelt off and nearly stepped out of the car when Nick stopped me, "What?"

"Do you trust me?" He said softly.

I looked at him.

"Do you trust that even if I wake up in a different city, I will still feel the same about you? Do you trust that even though we don't talk, I still love you? Do you trust me enough to let me go and know that I'll come back for you?" Nick looked at me, "Because I can't always find time for you. With the flying, the rehearsals, the fans, the concerts... I will be tired."

I didn't respond so he continued, "But I will continue loving you."

"Y/N, are you sure about me?"
"I am."

"Then we don't have to always be together. We don't always have to see each other. I for sure am in this. A hundred percent. I know that when I get back... I still want to be with you. That I want to marry you in the future."

"Marry me?"

Nick smiled and nodded, "Yeah. Being with you isn't just a passing hobby for me, baby. The end goal is I want you to be with me the rest of my life."

"I'm scared that you'll leave me again, Nicholas." I let out. "I'm scared of you."

He looked hurt when he heard that. "That's all I needed to know."