12. Stay

"I know this simple fact to be true, for I myself have abandoned people who did not want me to go, and I myself have been abandoned by those whom I begged to stay." ― Elizabeth Gilbert

Oliver reached his chamber unable to keep a smile from his face. He was excited since he received the letter from his private investigator who located the address of the Browns and the orphanage they were residing in within a day. It was difficult for him to keep the information to him and surprise Hannah at the right time. He couldn't wait to see the usually cold and stoic woman who usually was annoyed at him to lose her wit.

He was so happy when Hannah froze at the sight of his surprise, he felt like he reached the stars. Her tears bothered him but the happiness behind them soared him with pride. He enjoyed every minute in the orphanage, amazed by the strength of the children and how they find happiness in the smallest of things while the privileged whimper for the inconsequential. And every moment his respect for Hannah increased even more, after all, she was one of them.

His eyes always betrayed his mind and always sought her wherever she was and when she smiled he saw heaven. She would put the goddess of beauty to shame. He was mesmerized like a mortal surrendered to the goddess's gaze. He was aware when Mrs. Brown and Hannah were looking at him and talking about him. He could feel her eyes on himself making it difficult to keep him from marching to her and drown in her blue gaze.

For the next two days, he was busy getting reprimanded by the princess. His plan to go to Raymond's with Hannah was going down the drain when he faced the wrath of the prince and the princess. His butler informed him she was leaving tomorrow and despite the princess threatening to execute him if he left the palace, he was back at his estate to give her farewell before she left. He wished he could ask her to stay back so he can take her sightseeing over London, show all it has to offer so he can spend more time with her.

"My Lord," Mr. Morrison knocked on his door bringing his favorite brandy.

"Lady Kentshire sent another letter from the Raymond's, my lord," Mr. Morrison said after offering him the glass.

"What does it say?" He asked sitting in front of the fire.

"The party is arriving at the London in 2 days for the season, my lord, asking you to be present at the Kentshire Manor. Lady Kentshire also asked you to notify your brothers of the same,"  His butler informed.

"Who all are coming?" He asked lazily.

"Lord and Lady Raymond, and Lady Caroline, my lord." 

"Thank you, Mr. Morrison," He said, "Is Miss. Hannah all set to leave?"

"No, my lord. She is not supposed to leave London, Lady Kentshire has asked Miss Hannah to be Lady Caroline's handmaid and to be present at Kentshire Manor when they arrive."

A foreboding feeling crept up in him, the woman he was supposed to marry and the woman he was attracted to under the same roof unsettled him. The uneasy feeling when Hannah came from her talk with Mr. Brown, her face paler and rigid than usual was back with vehemence.

He was so lost in the thoughts of Hannah, he didn't think of Caroline even once. He felt like a bastard, he has given hope to an innocent woman and now was getting tangled with another one. He was so euphoric when she expressed her gratitude in a mere two words of thank you that he forgot the bigger promise of marriage to another.

Since he was a child he was aware of the future that awaits him, as an heir to the Duchy of Kentshire everyone treated him differently than his brothers, almost akin to royalty. And he never once in his life wanted to be anything other than what everyone already thought of him.

He always looked up to his parents admiring and wanting a love like them for himself. For years he was hoping to find someone whom he would love and would be loved in return equally. But soon he realized the love like their parents weren't for everyone and quite impossible where everyone wanted nothing but to gain his favor.

He gave up all hope and resigned to his fate of loveless marriage and the season only strengthen his resolve to get it over with quickly as possible and in his haste, he led on an innocent creature whose future now rests on his shoulder. And when he thought it was the end he looked up and saw what he has been searching for all his life in front of him so near yet unreachable.

There was no mistake Hannah was utterly so beautiful but more than her beauty he loved the way he can be around her. Her disregard for his station made him feel free. She tries so hard to stay bound to the chain she created for herself but she was a free spirit in her own nature and with her, he could shake the shackles of the society that confined him.

He would have been the luckiest person in the world if he could make her his but all his life he put his duty as an heir to Duchy of Kentshire above everything else and he was not going to change it now. He will live a life bound to his duty with a woman whom he couldn't fathom loving anymore, his family proud of him and his relations with the future King unstained.

As the next day came, Oliver left instructions for the preparation of the party to Kentshire manor and his brothers while he left for the Palace. He couldn't bear to see Hannah one more time and lose all control over himself. The resolve to do the right thing making him run away far away to the place that will never let her stand near it.

"Oliver," The Prince said with fake enthusiasm, "my friend, I hope you are here to stay till the preparation of ball is completed, else I will have to issue a summon for you."

Oliver picked on the Prince's mood quickly but being friends with the prince all his life he knew to ignore it. The Prince always came around in the end after he resolved whatever was bothering him.

"I promised the princess to help through the preparation and I will. Do not fret, my friend," Oliver said walking towards the ballroom.

"Keep in mind, it is my neck that will hang if you fail," The prince said walking side by side.

"I am sure both of our necks are on the line," Oliver said chuckling.

"No, I am confident Princess will forgive you," The prince said his voice a low whisper enough for only Oliver to hear it.

"And why is that?" He asked not understanding.

"Haven't you heard the rumors? She fancies you," The prince said nonchalantly.

"Don't tell me you believe idle gossip now? Of all the people in the Kingdom you should know better," Oliver said looking at his friend seriously.

It was not the topic to be discussed in the scrutiny of all the people around them, it was not the topic to be discussed at all. But by his bad luck, he had to assure his friend of his loyalty to him. In the end, he was a prince living all his life surrounded by treachery and one mistake on his side can put a strain on their friendship.

"I am needed in the throne room, the princess will be here soon please make sure everything is moving smoothly," The prince said walking away.

Why does everything felt like it was slipping away from him?

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.