18. Last Chance

"I looked at her moon skin face her pansy eyes and her cobweb hair and I knew I would go on giving her one last chance forever." ― Glenda Millard, A small free kiss in the dark

Oliver spent his entire Christmas morning pretending and faking enthusiasm to exchange gifts. As the day progressed he found it extremely difficult to keep up the facade but soon realized he wasn't the only one playing pretend. He caught aunt Ida and Caro distressed which surely was his fault and he couldn't help but feel guilty. Everyone was expecting him to make an announcement of his engagement and he was still hesitating.

He could sense William's confusion and disappointment. He spent all his time with his father discussing their new possible venture avoiding everyone else. His parents were surprisingly unbothered about him stalling his engagement and he couldn't be grateful enough for this blessing.

His brother caught him while they were making their way to the dinner.

"What is going on, Oliver?" William whispered.

"Nothing is going on," Oliver whispered trying to move away.

"Why haven't you proposed?" William asked once more, "Yesterday night was the perfect opportunity."

Oliver didn't answer his question but anger rose in at his brother's next statement.

"I hope you remember what is expected of you, Oliver," William said.

Oliver halted in his step anger pouring out of him.

"You mean what is expected of a Kentshire heir," He said his voice rising, "I am very much aware of it, you do not need to remind me."

"Calm down," William said raising his hand to show he is didn't mean to irk him.

"Maybe you should talk it in private, we will buy you time at the table," Nick whispered who was behind them along with Seb.

"There is no need for it, Nick," Oliver said and walked away to the dining room.

Except for Oliver, everyone was lively at the table. Nick and Seb made sure no one addressed Oliver directly keeping the table entertained.

"We should all go to the picnic near the waterfall, the water must be frozen. We can all skate," Luke said. Everyone agreed to Luke's idea enthusiastically.

"What about you, Oliver?" Lady Faith asked her firstborn.

"I was thinking of going back to London. I have to assist royal highness's with the ball preparation," Oliver said making everyone's face fall, "If it is possible I would like to ask Caro to join me for New year's ball at Duchess Edevane."

Everyone released a sigh of relief and their faces light up like Christmas. Duchess Edevane ball was the glory of London, the best ball after the Queen's herself and it was a perfect plan to introduce the future Duchess of Kentshire to London society.

"I think it's best all of us stay here, let both of them take a breath without anyone of us hovering over," Lady Faith said. Everyone agreed to Lady Faith's proposal and Oliver felt a huge burden lifted from his shoulder.

Everyone retired to their chamber with a happy disposition. The next day they were on their way to London after bidding farewell to everyone. Oliver pretended to be asleep through his entire journey and Caro didn't disturb him even once. He was quite disappointed when her lady maid was someone else other than Hannah but he thought this was for the best.

It was best for him as the Kentshire heir to stay as far as away from her. He couldn't be with her ever and he needed to fulfill his duty by introducing a perfect lady as the duchess of Kentshire to society. He resolved to escort Caro to Duchess Edevane ball as his fiance and nothing less.

He ordered another ring to propose Caro, he couldn't offer his mother's ring when he knew it was supposed to adorn the finger of the woman that could never be his. He had both the ring in his pocket trying to build up the courage to seal his fate but Hannah's face flashed before him every time and he couldn't bring himself to give up. He decided he will do it at Duchess Edevane's ball but he failed once more and Caro was at her wit's end.

They returned back to the manor and he was once again walking away to his chamber without uttering a word to her.

"My lord," She said making him halt in his steps.

"I can't play your games anymore, my lord," Caro said her face full of anguish, "I can't keep hoping for you to offer me marriage. It is despicable for a lady to beg for a proposal and I can't pretend that everything will be fine when I feel like you are hesitating from this union. You have the privilege to do as your heart desires but I am running out of time and I can't keep waiting for the thing that will never come my way."

"I am sorry," He said torn between the guilt for Caro and his love for Hannah.

"You made me feel so desperate and unworthy, my lord" Caro said in a broken voice before she left him standing in the foyer.

Caro was up and packed before the break of dawn after staring wide awake at the ceiling the entire night. She was once again going back from Kentshire manor empty-handed and she didn't know how she will face Raymond's back at home. She was a failure as a daughter to her own parents and her guardians.

Oliver was waiting at the foyer, bags under his eyes, hair askew, and tiredness pouring from his countenance. He didn't sleep the entire night and when his valet informed him that Caro has asked for the carriage to be prepared for Raymond at the break of dawn he needed to make the decision fast. He was standing in front of the woman he had let down, still undecided if he truly wanted to spend his life with her.

He always saw how much his parents were in love and how much they respected each other. He would be disrespecting his marriage and his wife if he couldn't give his all to be the husband to her. He had his duty as Kentshire heir to choose a worthy lady to be Duchess of Kentshire while he couldn't fulfill his duty to Caro or any other woman as a husband when he was in love with Hannah.

But he also knew he could never be with Hannah, he cannot compromise Kentshire name by fulfilling his heart desire. Hannah might be the purest thing in the world but her name and her blood would put Kentshire name to shame and he could never allow that to happen as long as the Kentshire reputation rests on his shoulder.

His brain was bombarded by all the thoughts at once and the brandy he drank at night didn't help much and when he saw Caro leaving he knew he had the last chance to make things right with her. The last chance to choose to follow the path that was carved for him.

"Caro," He said, "I need you to listen to me."

"You are drunk," She said horrified smelling the brandy on his breath.

"I apologize, I apologize for everything but I need you to give me one last chance," He pleaded.

"I will listen to you, my lord," She said hardening her heart.

"We do not fancy each other, that much is very clear and it is my duty to choose a perfect lady to be the Duchess of Kentshire and I can't think of anyone else but you to fulfill that position," He gulped offering the ring to her, "Will you marry me?"

She looked at him disbelievingly and heartbroken.

"You are offering me marriage as heir to Kentshire yet the ring is not the one Duchess of Kentshire wear, neither can you accept me as your wife," She said her eyes watering.

"Caro," He pleaded.

"I refuse, my lord," She said, "I cannot be desperate to the point where I am shameful of myself. Goodbye, my lord. I hope you can decide between your heart and your duty and save a lot of people from pain."

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.