19. Descending

Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life. -John Updike

Hannah soon realized why the duchess kept her away from the house help. It was the first time she joined the house help for dinner and there was pin-drop silence, it felt like everyone was talking to each other through their eyes while no one dared to look at her or be near her like she was a disease itself.

One dinner was enough for her to spend the rest of the time in her own room, even though she was demoted she still had her room to herself, she wasn't sure how long she will have this privilege. The next couple of days were awkward at best but since everyone was too busy in preparation for the new year and with every new activity that fancied the guests every day no one had time to pay any attention to Hannah. She stayed away from everyone and did the tasks assigned to her promptly.

She was always being watched, one or the other trying to catch her in a mistake. She had a foreboding feeling her days were numbered at Raymond's manor. Soon, she would make a mistake or be forced to make one and be thrown out in the streets. But she never in her worst imagination found herself homeless in a matter of days.

It was the third day after the new year, she entered the kitchen to collect her breakfast before taking her tasks from the housekeeper. Usually, the kitchen would be deserted for a long time she always made sure she would be first in and out before anyone would enter but today all the staff was present murmuring among each other. Some of them were half asleep but their faces were eager to hear things that were probably going upstairs.

She was surprised no one noticed her loitering around them, she started to walk out when she heard someone call out engagement and others shushing. Her heart was heavy, they were talking about the engagement. They must be waiting for the grand announcement of Oliver and Caro's union. Her trance was broken when the ominous sound of the bell rang summoning Mr Johnson to the parlour.

Everyone was silent waiting for Mr Johnson to come back and breathe life back into everyone. Hannah looked around observing the downhearted faces of everyone and her nervousness spiked even more. Something was wrong. Everyone was supposed to be excited and cheerful while waiting for the announcement but such wasn't the case at all.

Hannah waited at the back patiently hiding her trembling hands inside her skirt, struggling to maintain her stoic facade. When Mr Johnson came downstairs barking instructions at the footmen to start working on the packing of all the Kentshires and to make sure they are ready to leave for London by noon, none of them moved.

"Did you not hear me?" Mr Jhonson shouted again at still gaping footmen.

"Johnson, calm down, will ya?" Mrs O'Brien said. Mrs O'Brien was ancient as the Raymond manor, she was the daughter of the previous housekeeper and spent every day of her life in the manor serving the Raymonds and with greying hair and wrinkly skin run the household like a military general. 

"Now, what are you all waiting for? Go and start working on your chores," She ordered once again.

"But, Mrs O'Brien," A handmaid whined, "What happened upstairs?"

"She came without the engagement ring, I saw her," Someone added hastily, "Her eyes were red as a fire from crying."

"I was hoping she would get married this season," an older maid said, "poor lad, firstly an orphan and now on a shelf."

"Now, everyone back to their work at once," Mrs O'Brien bellowed, "I do not want to hear another word of it anymore. If I find anyone gossiping they will scrub every chamber clean."

Everyone scurried to take their breakfast and back to work. Hannah was standing slightly trembling at her place.

"Johnson," Mrs O'Brien said, "Now, don't forget what happens upstairs shouldn't affect us in our duties. Go take a moment and be back at your post."