25. Treacherous

Treachery has existed as long as there's been warfare, and there's always been a few people that you couldn't trust. Jim Mattis

Oliver has been searching relentlessly for Hannah for the last couple of days. When Gustav came to the Kentshire Manor all bloodied and bruised, he fell unconscious before he could speak anything more.

The doctor was called for and when he came back to his senses Oliver found that the Orphanage was attacked at midnight. Gustav fought them till he lost his consciousness. When he woke up in the morning, Mr. Brown told him those men were from Raymond county and once had attacked their orphanage for Hannah many years ago. They didn't know what to do next? How to find and help her?

An old man on the edge of life and death and another young one barely able to stand straight couldn't do much than rely on the mercy of the stronger.

Mr. Brown urged Gustav to go to Kentshire Manor and beseech Lord Oliver, he was their last hope to find Hannah.

Oliver was in the jostling carriage making his way back to London from Raymond after his search for Hannah didn't come to fruition. The men that left the Raymond county and must have taken her were most probably still in London and that meant she was still in their capture.

A sliver of hope that she must be still alive accompanied with the vile dark feeling of her condition in the capture kept bubbling up inside him and with every passing second, it was getting difficult to breathe. He couldn't let the hope drown, couldn't let the last bit of sanity slip away.

They say we know our true friends in the time of the tragedy but we also know our real family.

He looked up at the sleeping form of Nick in front of him and he knew even if he lost himself completely he will never be alone. He was surprised when Sebastian volunteered to file a complaint at Scotland yard, and William assured him a bit reluctantly but on his own accord that he will talk to Mr. Brown and everyone at the orphanage and find out as much as he can.

He prayed they were more successful than he was.

Oliver reached the Kentshire manor in the noon and found everyone at the luncheon table together, he stood stupefied how his family could sit so calmly while his life was falling apart around him. Did they not understand what he was going through? How much she was important to him? How could they?

And then he remembered, he denied her for so long because of the differences in their station, how could he expect his brother who never fell in love to understand him or his parents whose legacy now threatened because of his recklessness.

"Did you find her? Where is Scotland Yard with the investigation? Has anyone found anything? She has to be in London," He asked impatiently, pausing when everyone stayed silent, "What's wrong?"

"Not a word," His mother said holding her palm up to silence all the mouths that opened to comment on Oliver's state, "I don't want any of you to say something and make this all worse."

"Ma," Oliver whispered scared.

"We haven't found anything yet, darling," She said calmly, "The search is still going on but we need to take respite so that we can start again. Seb is meeting the officer of Scotland Yard after luncheon and I am sure we will find her soon. Now, I will order for your bath to be drawn, you need to gather your wits."

Oliver nodded and asked, "When is the officer arriving?"

"Uh," Seb stammered, "He is not. I am going to meet him."

"Why?" Nick asked his voice tired, "We never go to Scotland Yard, they come to the manor."

"Seb has already agreed on the meeting," William said, "You two must be tired, let them proceed as they have decided."

"Who is the officer? I have a friend in..." Nick said his eyes droopy.

"You don't know him," Seb said abruptly cutting him off, startling everyone.

"Seb," Oliver said suspiciously, "What are you hiding?"

"Nothing, brother," Seb said, "Why?"

"Because you are a horrible liar, my son," Lord Kentshire said from the head of the table.

"There is no complaint filed with Scotland Yard. They have no idea about this," William said callously when Seb stayed silent.

"What do you mean?" Nick said suddenly alive.

"Sebastian Francis Kentshire, what is the meaning of this?" His mother thundered while Oliver was sure he was living a horrible nightmare and any moment he will wake up to reality better than this.

Everyone stood silent their eyes on Seb who was uncomfortably fidgeting under all of their gazes.

"I asked him not to involve Scotland Yard," William explained calmly, "We are more than capable enough to handle this on our own, we should not present an opportunity for others to go digging and throw dirt at us the first chance they get."

Oliver couldn't hear his mother berating William, neither could he feel himself walking away from everyone. He shut the door to his chamber feeling all his strength dissipating, sliding down the door wanting to scream his pain out.

The darkness was swallowing him, he could hear her screaming, crying, and begging. He felt betrayed and angry and he didn't know when he was sobbing into his own arms.

He heard the rapping on his door and Nick's voice to open the door or he will break it down. Oliver wanted to scream at him to leave him alone but he couldn't bring himself to utter any words. He reluctantly opened his door to Nick.

"Oliver, you can't give up," Nick said, halting in his speech looking at tear strained face of his eldest brother.

Nick paused for the longest time trying to figure out the right word to say.

"Did you... did you know that too?" Oliver asked his voice croaking.

"No, I can't believe Seb lied to me. But we can't give up now," Nick said softly.

"What if we are too late?" Oliver asked defeated.

"What if we are not?" Nick asked full of hope.

Nick was right what if she was safe somewhere and bidding her time. She had kept herself safe all these years, he has to believe she must have found a way to survive.

Oliver realized how much his body was tired as he lowered himself in the bath even though his heart and mind couldn't stop thinking about her. He stopped himself from delving deeper into those thoughts, he has to believe she was safe and he will rescue her in time.

Oliver was waiting for Nick in the parlor, a carriage already waiting for them outside. Nick came running, apologizing for being late. They looked up to see William standing at the door his arms folded, a silent war issuing between them.

"You have made up your mind, haven't you?" William asked in his cold voice that he only reserves for his parliament oppositions.

"I have and you can't stop me," Oliver answered with equal fervor.

Nick was thankful his parents weren't present to watch what has become of their children at this moment.

"Do you even understand all that you are risking?" William asked irritated, "We don't know who are snakes in sheep's clothing that will join and even fuel the scandal coming our way with our one mistake. You know better than anyone how treacherous all those nobles are that stand timid in front of our power but won't think twice with the desire to bring us down."

"I understand, William," Oliver answered sharply, "Tell me what is the worst that could happen to us? Our name will be tarnished but her, her fate will be worse than death."

William took a deep breath and declared.

"I won't let you leave and risk everything."

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.