24. Rescue

"Women rescue men just as much as, if not more than, men rescue women."― Criss Jami, Killosophy 

Hannah's mind was clear but her body was still weak. She was assisted to join the Lord and Madame for a meal right across her chamber. Without her strength, she decided to observe her surroundings and store them in her memory but sadly she couldn't see much in the darkened passageway.

His Lordship and the Madame were seated right beside each other without a hairbreadth space between them. They didn't notice when she was seated in front of them still lost in their world. He looked angelic staring at the Madame with adoration in his eyes while the tip of her ears was tinged with red. They look almost in love.

Hannah was shocked at the sight before her wondering how two people with such a difference in their station could be so openly in love. He was a lord and she ran this loathsome institution. There was not the slightest chance they could ever be with each other, as her and Oliver. But looking at the couple in front of her, she soon realised the immense difference between their situations.

In front of her were the people who definitely knew what their future would be and yet they weren't afraid to love each other. Hannah realised her situation was much better and a single ray of hope made its way into her heart.

She was so afraid of getting hurt she didn't even allow herself the strength to live a blissful life as long as it lasts. Life was always full of ups and down but her fear of falling kept her from enjoying and she realised she haven't lived at all. She existed in this world but didn't really live except for those moments with Oliver and they too were very few.

She wanted more, she wanted to be with Oliver, she wanted to be alive.

"Why do you want her?" Hannah heard madame say after the meal was served, "You don't like naive, virgin women."

Hannah was appalled at the woman so blatantly telling him about her even though it might be a norm in the institution as such.

"Then what do I like?" He asked seductively staring into her eyes.

"Someone experienced and experimental," Madame replied equally seductively, "I can show you what you like."

Hannah coughed loudly, uncomfortable with their conversation. The couple directed their attention to Hannah for the first time but didn't say anything.

"She is so untamed," Madame said disappointed, "I have other beautiful girls I can show you."

"She is perfect, I assure you," The Lord said kissing madame's hand making her fluster even more.

He really was a charmer.

"You still haven't told me, why do you want her?" Madame asked pouting and she looked innocent momentarily but Hannah knew she was anything but.

"She is a gift," The Lord said staring at Hannah. Hannah couldn't make anything of him. 

He was like an enigma, she couldn't decide if he was there to help her or sabotage her.

The table was cleared out and they were still seated. Nobody spoke anything for the longest time.

"Is there any chance she will be back here in the future?" The madame asked looking over at Hannah.

Hannah controlled herself even though the rebuff was on the tip of her tongue. She was never going to come back here even in her worst nightmare.

"I don't believe so," He answered sipping on his wine.

"You do know she cost me a fortune," The Madame said, her business mask back on her face, all her swooning and blushing disappearing at once.

The change in her demeanour did not surprise Hannah, she wondered how many faces this woman wore and which one was her true self. When she looked at him there was no love in her eyes anymore.