Chapter 15: Carter

I'm shoving the last of my uniforms in my duffel bag as Benji packs the toiletries in my bathroom. I'm moving in with Cassidy and it feels surreal. I'm trying to stuff faster in case she changes her mind and sends me a message not to come. I know that's not likely to happen, but I am feeling just as flighty as my girl usually is. Things have been perfect the last month. I want to ask her to marry me so she's legally obligated to keep me, but that is probably not the best course of action. That would be weird, right?

"Benji! Can I ask Cassidy to marry me yet?!" I yell out into the apartment so he can hear me from the bathroom. I hear him rummaging and he pauses at my question.

"Uhh, no dude. It's way too fucking soon. She would go running for the hills." He steps out of the bathroom and leans against the door frame to my room.

"What's the hurry? She asked you to move in that is a huge step. Don't rush her Carter. I've told you before don't pressure her or she will bail in a second."

I sigh and flop to the couch dramatically with my arm covering my eyes. Women are so difficult. Why didn't my Dad warn me about this shit? I should have taken a course or something in college.

"You keep telling me that and it only makes my anxiety worse. I'm afraid she's going to realize I'm an idiot and send me packing. I was thinking if she married me she would be legally obligated to me.." My thoughts are running and an idea pops in my head. A brilliant idea.

"I've got it!" I fly off the couch and grab my vidscreen to look up more information on the process. Benji comes to sit next to me where I've settled at the small, two person kitchen table.

"I'm concerned now. What are you doing? Actually don't even tell me just stop whatever you're doing because you have yet to have one single good idea since I've met you."

"It's not a good idea Ben, it's a genius idea. I've figured out a way she can't leave me. She would be stuck with me for at least.." I have to count in my head. "8 years!!" I explain excitedly. God I have the best ideas I don't know what he's yapping about.

"Okay, tell me. I don't have any clue as to what your plan is." Benji sighs and looks exasperated with me. I give him a smile that may come across as creepy because he narrows his eyes.

"I'm going to adopt Ella and Mia!" I clap my hands together and continue my search. Benji is quiet so I look to him. He has his hands under his chin and he's just staring at me. I can't tell what he's thinking.

"Great idea yeah? They could never get rid of me then. Even when they turn 18 I would still be part of their lives. If they aren't in relationships they would have to keep me around for even longer." My smile grows because honestly I think this is the singular best idea I've ever had. I could control those fucktwat boys who won't leave Mia alone.. I would have the right to make them leave her alone. I'm practically giddy now.

I power down the screen and go to continue packing my bags. I need to get to Cassidy's so I can tell her my master plan. There are a couple attorneys who work from the station I will just ask them these questions tomorrow during my shift.

"Carter."

The tone of Benji's voice makes me turn. He obviously has thoughts to share so I nod my head at him to continue now that he has my full attention.

"Those are real little humans. You can't hold them hostage to make someone love you. Honestly that sounds like the start of a really horrific movie." Benji's eyes widen,

"Carter I think you might need help. Maybe this relationship with Cassidy is moving too quickly. You are obsessive. I've never seen you like this."