[Chapter 2]

CIA Academy of Espionage

May 3 (3-week time skip)

0900 Hours (9 AM)

Erica POV

This is all your fault! It should have been you in the base, sacrificing yourself for Ben. How could he do that? Didn't he know that I cared for him?

I woke up with a start. I glanced at the clock. 9:00 AM. Oh no, slept in again! I swiftly sprang out of bed, changed, grabbed my backpack, and sprinted to Cryptology 104. This is going to be so embarrassing, I thought to myself. Sure enough, as soon as I walked in the door Professor Crouch stopped his lecture and all the students stared at me.

"Erica, why are you late, again?" asked Mr. Crouch.

"I'm sorry, professor, I lost track of time," I replied.

"I will excuse your tardy, but you will have extra homework today." Professor Crandall said.

"I understand," I replied.

"Good, now take your seat." were his last words.

I plopped my backpack down and sat in my seat, next to my "friend", Zoe Zibbell. She was 2 years younger than me, but she had a knack for hacking which is why she was in my class.

"Overslept again?" Zoe asked.

I nodded.

"Still thinking about Ben?" she further inquired.

"Wishing Mike was here?" was my comeback.

She just shrugged, and I had to turn away so she wouldn't notice the blush creep into my cheeks about what she said about Ben. Even I wouldn't admit it to anyone, Ben was special to me. He was the only one I trusted, and... No, Erica stop thinking about him! It will only make you more miserable. For the rest of the day, I was zoning in and out of all the teacher's lectures, and at the end of the day I was bored, so I decided to do some training. I went to the gun range and picked up my favorite one, an M9 pistol, which felt light in my hand, and emptied the clip. After about 45 minutes of training, I headed back to my room. As I entered the room, I noticed a few things. First, the blinds of the curtains had been moved a little, almost as if someone had come in from the window. Next, there was a note on my bed. It said:

To Ice Queen,

Meet me at the gun range at 0200 tonight. (2:00 AM if you don't know the military time, but I'm sure you do because you are the one and only Erica Hale)

- Anonymous

Who would want to see me at night? And who knew about the nickname Zoe gave me? I was intrigued by the message. I mentally agreed to go and set an alarm for 1:15 AM before drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

Timeskip to 1:15 AM

BEEP BEEP BEEP

My eyes fluttered open. I slowly got out of bed and put on my spy "suit" and my utility belt. At 1:45 AM, I quietly slipped out of my room into the darkness of the hallway. I made my way outside the building with no trouble and scurried onto the gun range. I saw a person with a hood over their face standing in the moonlight. I took out my tranquilizer gun. Just in case they attacked, I would be ready.

"Who are you, and what do you want with me?" I demanded.

"Ah, the fact you don't remember me hurts me right here," a male voice said while pointing towards his heart.

"Again, who are you and what do you want with me," I said with more force that time.

"You will know who I am in a second, but I just wanted to tell you that I'm alive," he said, pulling off his hood.

I let out an involuntary gasp. It was Ben.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

- Cookie