[Chapter 7]

Outside Mr. E's house

May 13

1:45 PM

Ben POV

Erica and I were hiding behind a bush, waiting for Mr. E to leave his house. After 15 minutes, a man came out of Mr. E's house. He had brown eyes and grey hair.

"That's him," I said to Erica. We waited for 5 minutes until we were sure he had left, then we snuck around the building towards the back door. Catherine said earlier that she had a device that could break through the security system, and I took that device from my pocket and attached it to the front of the door. The door beeped three times, then opened inwards. Erica whistled.

"That device is fast!" I said to Erica. She nodded.

I touched my ear and whispered into the communications device, "We are in the building," I said to Catherine who was listening.

"Good, now search the second floor for a secret room," Catherine said.

Erica and I searched for about 15 minutes, and I was about to move on to the lower floor when I felt the cold muzzle of a gun being pushed against my head and the unmistakable click as the safety was turned off.

"Put your hands in the air, and turn around very slowly," the voice said. As I turned around, I saw that Erica was also in the same position as I was. As we completed our turn, we got a look at the person who had pointed the gun at me. I gasped. It was Mr. E. The real Mr. E.

"But... but... but you're supposed to be out on your walk!" I said.

"Yes, this is part of an ingenious strategy. The person you saw wasn't the real me. That was one of my agents, who had dressed to look like me. That person leaves the house from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM every day, while I leave the house on a different schedule, just in case nosy people like you try to have a look around. Now walk!" Mr. E commanded.

We obliged and started walking. Mr. E started rambling about stuff.

"You know, did you ever wonder how Spyder knew what you were going to do? It's called having a double agent. Yes, you know this person very well. You trust them fully." Mr. E said, smirking.

I gasped. I didn't believe anyone would betray us. Unless someone would...

I glanced at Erica. She always has a plan! Sure enough, her left turned into a fist and pushed against the palm of her right hand. Then, she started blinking her eyes. Was there something stuck in her eyes? Then I realized it was morse code. I rolled my fingers around each other to say start over, and she did. The final message was attacked in 5

4

3

2

1

Then we attacked. I got down low and swept Mr. E's feet out from right under him, and Erica left onto his body, putting his arms behind his back. She nodded, and I hit him on the head with the gun he had been holding. He groaned, then fell into unconsciousness.

"Good job," she said, giving me a small smile.

I stared at her, shocked.

"What?" she asked, giving me a confused look.

"You just smiled," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

She rolled her eyes and said, "Let's go get Mr. E."

Just then, Catherine said through the communications device, "Evacuate now. There are enemy agents on their way. Go out through the back door, and I will come to pick you up. Go now!"

She rolled her eyes and said, "We'll continue this later. We have to escape now."

We ran out the back door and had just rounded the corner of the house when we bumped right into Catherine. She quickly got up, dusted herself off, and she said to us, "Let's go Spyder Agents are coming!"

We quickly ran to Catherine's car, and I was about to open the door when I heard Catherine's voice from behind us.

"I'm sorry children, but I have to do this," she said.

Erica and I both whirled around, but not before we were hit in the necks with a tranquilizer dart. It stung like no tomorrow. I felt the drug spread throughout my system. My vision grew blurry, but I looked at Erica. I remembered that she was resistant to these types of tranquilizers, but I knew I wasn't going to make it, so I mouthed to Erica to go. She nodded. As I gave into the tranquilizer, the last thing I saw was Erica running off.

Then everything turned black.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

- Cookie