[Chapter 12]

Spy School

May 16

0230 Hours (2:30 AM)

Ben POV

I woke up to the feeling that someone else was in my room. I sat up in bed and looked around. There was no one around, or so it appeared. I decided to be on the safe side and reached to grab my gun. The moment my finger touched the gun, it was slapped out of my hand, and while I had gotten better at fighting, I was pinned down in less than 10 seconds. I was going to call for help, but then a hand was slapped over my mouth. I then recognized then scent. Lilacs and gunpowder. It was Erica. I nodded to show I knew it was her, so she took her hand off my mouth.

"Why are you in my room at 2:30 AM?" I asked her.

"I was testing your reflexes. You've gotten better," Erica said, and I thought I saw a hint of a smile on her face.

"Is that the only reason you came here?" I asked her.

"No," she replied, "I'm going to teach you how to use a gun."

I stared at her for a second and nodded. I got up out of bed, grabbed a gun, and headed over to the gun range with Erica at my side. The first thing Erica told me to do was to shoot the gun at the target by myself, so she could see what I was doing wrong. I pulled the trigger, and the bullet missed the target by about 3 meters. I sighed. This might take a while.

2 1/2 HOURS LATER

Bang, bang, bang.

All three shots hit the bullseye.

"Great job, Ben, you finally got it!" Erica said smiling.

I grinned. "Thanks for teaching me," I said.

"No problem," she replied.

I glanced at my watch and discovered it was 5:00 AM.

"We should head over to the car," Erica said.

"What about our luggage?" I asked.

"It's already there," Erica replied.

I nodded, and then we started walking towards the front of Spy School. When we arrived, Cyrus, Mike, and Zoe were already there, waiting for us in front of a black and white Honda SUV.

"You're late," Cyrus said.

"We're 15 minutes early, which should be on time," I replied. Cyrus looked at his watch, then nodded.

"Get in the car," Cyrus said. We all filled in. Cyrus was going to stay with us until we reached the airplane, so he was driving. Zoe and Mike sat in the middle seats and Erica and I sat in the back.

"This is going to be about a 4-hour car ride because we have to get to a private jet at the tip of Deleware that will take us to Rio De Janeiro," Cyrus said while starting up the car.

"Why Rio?" I asked.

"Because we have intel that Spyder set up their base for this scheme in Rio," Cyrus said.

"We always have to get closer to the trouble, not away," I said.

Cyrus ignored this and started driving. I stared out the window. At first, there was just normal urban life. Apartments, schools, and business offices flew by my line of sight. Then, the life of the city was passed, and I found myself looking and vast fields of greenery and trees. I looked ahead to see what the others were doing, and in front of me, I saw Mike and Zoe, both sleeping, their heads resting on each other and their hands intertwined. (#ZIKE!!!) I took a picture for blackmail purposes then continued to stare out the window. Before I knew it, I had drifted off the sleep. It felt like only a few seconds went by, but when I opened my eyes we were pulling in to a parking lot. I sat up and groaned. I felt something grab my arm, and I looked to the left. Erica was still sleeping. Her hands were wrapped around my arm, and her head was resting on it like a pillow. I immediately blushed.

"Erica, please wake up, we are in an extremely weird position, I don't know how we got like this, please don't kill me," I tried to sound as urgent as possible while still whispering. Erica's ear twitched while I was saying that, and she immediately sat upright, releasing her hands from mine and looking out the window to conceal her blush. I looked towards the front to see if anyone saw, and sure enough, Mike was staring at me, giving me the thumbs-up sign. I blushed even more, if possible.

"Are we there yet?" I heard Erica ask Cyrus.

"No, we're stopping for breakfast at McDonald's. We still have another hour and a half to go," Cyrus replied. Cyrus found a parking lot and turned off the car. We all hopped out and started stretching our legs. As we walked into the McDonalds door, I looked around. It was just like any McDonalds, except there was something different about it. I looked around trying to spot what was wrong, and then I saw it. I saw 2 people sitting in a corner seat wearing snow coats and sunglasses. Who wears a winter coat inside of a fast-food restaurant, and who wears sunglasses inside a restaurant. There was something fishy about those 2 people...

"So Ben, what do you want to eat," Erica said, interrupting my train of thought.

"I'll have a yogurt parfait please," I responded. Erica, Mike, Zoe, Cyrus, and I placed our order, grabbed our food, and went to sit down at a table.

"So, who wants to play truth or dare?" Zoe said in a slightly mischievous voice.

"Me," said Mike and I. Erica nodded, and Cyrus said no.

"I'll go first," Mike said.

"Ben, truth or dare?" he asked me.

"Dare," I said, trying not to sound too nervous.

"You don't have to tell us who sent it, but I dare you to read out loud to last text you got," Mike said. I pulled out my phone and entered the mail app.

"Okay. The text says, 'I haven't got to see you in so long. I miss you, but I think there's a chance we will meet again soon.'" I said.

"Who sent it?" Erica asked, her face showing an emotion I had never seen before. Was she jealous? No, she couldn't be. This was the Ice Queen, who never showed emotion.

"Jessica," I said.

"Are you guys in a relationship?" Erica persisted.

"What's the definition of a relationship?" I asked her.

"The way in which two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected, or the state of being connected," she immediately replied.

I raised my eyebrow.

"I memorized the dictionary," she replied.

"Yes, then I guess we have a relationship," I said, confused at why she wanted to know.

"I'm done eating, I'm going back to the car," Erica got up and left.

I didn't think anything of it until I saw her breakfast salad. It was only 1/4 eaten.

What was up with Erica? I am so confused.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

- Cookie