3.

Chapter Three: A Stolen Heart

"Pardon, but if I heard right, you wish to find a princess that you have no clue which kingdom she is from?"

Prince Thomas rubbed his forehead in frustration. He had been stuck in his study room with his personal guard, or more known as his closest friend. The prince had spent half of his morning trying to figure out information about Mara.

Mara.

The drunken princess that had managed to steal the prince's heart.

"Kai I appreciate it if you please just do as I say and help me find her" The Prince gave his friend a begging look.

Kai simply sighed as he picked up a stack of papers and took a seat across from him. He had no clue what the prince's intentions were when it came to this Mara. Over the years of serving him, he had never seen the prince worried over a young maiden the way he was now.

"This doesn't make sense" Prince Thomas stated as he read through the list of those who were invited to the ball.

"Your highness?" Kai questioned.

"Her name is not on any of these. I have gone through each list and Mara was never invited to the ball."

"Should we be worried, your highness?" Kai questioned. It was unusual for a young maiden with no invitation to the ball, who had managed to make her way in freely.

The prince merely shook his head.

"How could she have gone past the guards with no royal invitation?".

Prince Thomas threw the papers on his desk and leaned back against his chair. A defeated and tired expression spread across his face making Kai worry.

"Who is this Mara that has you like this? I apologize but I have never seen you like this before your highness" Kai commented with a worried tone.

The Prince simply stared at his friend. He knew there was no other way for him to help if he didn't know the truth.

The truth of what Mara did to him.

"My heart has been stolen, Kai" Prince Thomas said quietly.

A smile spread across Kai's lips, "That is such wonderful news! Is this why Mara is so important, is she the princess that you chose to be your queen?".

Prince Thomas shook his head. Standing up from his chair, he walked over his desk to stand before Kai, "That night, it seemed like I had found someone that could understand me Kai. For once it felt like Mara was the breath of relief that I've been needing. But what I wasn't aware of was her true intentions until it was too late".

Kai only grew more confused as he stared at the prince, "Did she harm you?".

"Oh Kai, she did much worse", The Prince let out a defeated sigh as he grabbed the collar of his shirt before he tugged it down, exposing his chest, "She stole my heart Kai".

Pitched black veins spread across Prince Thomas' chest. Wear his heart is meant to be, was replaced by a mess of black veins that worsened by day.

Kai stared at them in confusion and worry. He had only now realized how tired the prince looked. The dark bags under his eyes, his untamed hair, and the way he constantly clutched his chest like he was in pain.

"But how..."

Prince Thomas let his head hang as he used his desk for support, "I have no clue Kai but do you see now why it's important to find her? I need to find Mara, I need her to give me back what's mine".

"Do you think she's a witch?" Kai asked, his focus still on Prince Thomas' chest. The black veins seemed to twirl against his skin, making different shapes and figures.

The Prince remained quiet.

He had spent the past days going through every book in the castles library. Reading every book that could give him the answers that he was searching for.

Not giving Kai a glance, he reached behind him and grabbed a thick, purple book. He opened it to where he left off before he handed it to him.

Kai gave Prince Thomas a confused look before he moved his gaze down to the book.

"The Witches of Genevere" Kai read out loud, "Prince Thomas, you believe Mara is part of them? Your highness we have been at war with them for nearly decades now. If she stole your heart, like you say, you know what this means?".

Prince Thomas once again remained silent.

He knew exactly what it meant. If Mara had been sent to target the future heir to the throne, to which it seemed she succeeded, the future of Genevere was in danger.

Kai looked up to see Prince Thomas stare at him with tears in his eyes. He had never seen the prince look so defeated.

"I need you to help me Kai. I need to find her, I must".

The prince pushed himself off his desk and made his way over to the window. His gaze found the view of the kingdom, his kingdom. The place he was meant to keep safe and protect.

"They depend on me Kai, If I can't fulfill my duty as the future king then they will all fall" Prince Thomas turned to face his friend.

He looked paler then he did seconds ago, Kai could see the black veins wrapping around his neck.

"I need my heart back, Kai." Prince Thomas stated before he collapsed.

a/n: what do you guys think so far? are you enjoying the story? be on the lookout for the next chapter. leave your thoughts and a vote please! thank you!