9.

Chapter Nine: Taken

There was a disturbing silence between them.

Mara stood there with tears in her eyes as she glanced between the prince and Kai. They both had a frown resting on their lips making her heart clench.

"I...", Mara cleared her throat as she moved her gaze from them, "I should heal myself before we get going. Just, go ahead and eat something. We still have a long way ahead of us".

Prince Thomas watched as Mara gave them both a small nod before she turned around and walked away.

All Prince Thomas could do was stand there as he processed what Mara had confessed. His mind couldn't come up with anything to tell her. He wanted to walk up to her and tell her he wouldn't let her die.

The prince would save her.

But Kai knew otherwise. He knew Mara wouldn't allow the prince to sacrifice himself for her. Kai now understood that Mara would do everything in her power to make sure Genevere has their future king.

"We have to do something" Prince Thomas said making Kai glance at him.

Kai watched the determined and sadden look in the prince eyes, "She'll be okay your highness. Mara is strong, she'll figure something out".

The prince simply shook his head in disagreement. Excusing himself from Kai, he made his way down the path where Mara had gone.

His steps slow down as he watched Mara adjust a clean shirt, covering up her chest and the black veins that wrapped around like poison.

"Mara?"

"Yes, Tom?" Mara turned to face the prince with a small smile on her face.

Prince Thomas stood there with a nervous expression on his face as he watched the witch. He wanted nothing more than to walk over and wrap his arms around her.

"I know what your are thinking, the answer is no."

"What if-"

Mara shook her head. "This is my consequences for dealing with magic that I had no control of Tom. You are more valuable and have more importance than I".

Prince Thomas wanted to protest and tell her she was wrong. Mara was important too, far too important for her knowing. But he didn't, instead he stood there and watched as she walked over to him.

Placing a hand against his cheek, Mara rubbed his jaw with her thumb, "You are far too kind Tom. I will not be the reason why Genevere has no king. Besides, no one will miss me".

Leaning into her touch, Prince Thomas opened his mouth to speak but was stopped at the sound of Kai's voice. In less than a second, Mara dropped her hand from the prince face and took a step back.

"We should get going, we don't want to wander this part of the forest at night".

Mara waited for the prince and Kai to walk ahead of her before she began to follow them. Keeping her gaze on her feet, Mara didn't notice when Kai lingered behind until he stood beside her.

"He cares for you" Kai commented making Mara glance over to him with a confused look.

Kai simply nodded his chin towards Prince Thomas, who's attention was caught my a flutter fairy. Mara remained silent, a soft smile spread on her lips as she watched Prince Thomas follow the flutter fly like a small child.

"We'll find you a cure Mara" Kai said making Mara glance over to look at him.

There was a promising glint in his eyes as he gave her a small nod. All Mara could do was simply smile at him. She knew that his promise was useless, there was no way to save both the prince and herself.

But Mara would allow herself to believe he was right.

That maybe, Prince Thomas and Kai could save her.

As Mara and Kai caught up with the prince, who almost managed to wander off following the flutter fairy.  Suddenly, Mara felt her senses heighten at the sound of bushes rustling beside them. Subconsciously, she stood protectively in front of the prince and Kai as she glanced around.

"Mara what's going on?"

Before she could respond, Mara felt a small pinch at the base of her neck. Instantly, Mara began to felt dizzy as she turned to face the prince. Her vision become blurry and her muscles grew heavy as she watched figures step out of the trees.

Mara couldn't do anything as she watched the prince and Kai being taken away. All she could do was stand there before she collapsed.

authors note: so sorry for the late chapter but here it is! I have been quite busy with work and I'm not sure when I'll have time to update again but hopefully I can give you guys another chapter soon!

thank you all for the support and to all my lovely readers, I love you!

vote, comment and share!