7.

Chapter Seven: Dark Mara

The slow movement of Mara's chest against Kai's back made him realize she had fallen asleep. His muscles stiffened as he felt her hold tighten around him. Kai glanced over to Prince Thomas who was staring at them with an unrecognizable expression.

"She looks quite comfortable on your back." The prince commented making Kai slightly glare at him.

Kai shifted uncomfortably, trying his best not to wake her, "If she drools, I will throw her off my horse".

Prince Thomas simply chuckled at the way Kai's face scrunched up in discomfort. He knew that Kai had a disliking for Mara, yet it seemed that Mara enjoyed annoying him.

Looking back to Mara, he watched as she peacefully slept against Kai's back. Her lips were slightly parted, strands of hair fell against her face and the prince had never seen someone look so beautiful the way Mara did.

"I can feel you staring" Mara's voice startled the prince, making him quickly look away.

"It seems the princess is finally awake" Kai commented, a clear annoyed tone in his voice as he spoke.

Mara simply ignored Kai as she glanced around the forest, they were near.

"We must stop now." Mara commented, making the prince and Kai stop their horses.

Stepping down from Kai's horse, Mara walked over to a small bush. She brushed her hand over the giant flowers and felt around the magic they held within them.

"What are you doing now?" Kai asked, a clear annoyed tone in his voice.

Mara glanced behind her shoulder to give him a glare, "Do you have to question my every move?".

Kai was about to reply when they prince gave him a side glance and shook his head. He knew better than to keep his mouth shut and not start an argument with Mara but she brought the worst out of him.

"I have to perform the spell here. These flowers have enough magic for me to siphon", Mara removed the flowers from the bush and walked over to the saddle of Kai's horse.

Grabbing her satchel, she walked over the an empty space and took a seat on the ground. Taking out objects, she began to place them around and tried her best to ignore the stares from the Prince.

"Will it hurt?" Prince Thomas questioned making Mara glanced up to him.

"No, it will not hurt you guys."

"Will it hurt you?" Mara decided to ignore his question and stand up. Taking a deep breath, she clutched onto the flowers and looked over to the two men in front of her.

"You have to promise that you won't run away", Mara said softly, a worried tone clear in her voice as she stared between Kai and the prince.

Kai's hand subconsciously hovered above the hilt of his sword as he took a step forward to stand in front of the prince. His instinct to protect the future heir to the throne kicked in as he prepared himself for anything.

Prince Thomas simply stared at Mara in confusion as he watched her take a step back and close her eyes. In a blink of an eye, Prince Thomas watched as Mara completely become a darker, evil version of herself.

Where the once light haired witch stood, now a pitch black haired woman with nothing but darkness in her eyes. The prince and Kai watched as Mara began to muttered words under her breath as a random breeze surrounded them.

"Mara what is going on?" The prince questioned as he watched a glow began to form in her hands.

Kai simply stood there, watching her every move as she continued to perform the spell. He watched as her dark eyes stared up to the sky, her hands dancing around her creating symbols in the air.

Within a second, Kai and Prince Thomas felt a small pinch in the back of their heads before they watched Mara collapse to the ground.

Prince Thomas didn't give much thought as he ran towards her, "Mara, are you okay?".

Mara's heavy breathing made the prince worry as she glanced up to him. Blood trickled down her nose and mouth. A pained expression rested on her face as she leaned into the prince's chest.

"What did you do?" Kai questioned as he kept an eye on the prince who was currently holding Mara.

"I...I protected your minds. I told you, this forest isn't meant for human visitors. The spell takes a lot of energy, I just need to rest for a few minutes".

Prince Thomas looked at her with worry. Bringing up his hand to her face, he brushed away the blood from the side of her mouth, slightly brushing her lower lip.

"We should rest here for the night. We'll keep moving in the morning"

"Tom I'm fine-"

Mara was interrupted as the prince tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She felt herself stare at him with an opened mouth as he simply shook his head.

"You must rest. We need you well", The prince commented, making Mara's chest warm up with a feeling she knew all too well.

authors note: hey guys! so sorry for lagging on the update but work has been keeping me busy and I haven't had a day off! But here it is!

I truly hope you guys are enjoying this story! please leave your thoughts, theories and predictions! a vote will be lovely as well!

until next update my loves!