Chapter 23: Curse of Avada Kedavra (The Resolution)

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LORELEI

We witnessed with our own eyes how someone was murdered by the Avada Kedavra killer. Everything went silent and everyone held their breaths as if the world had stopped from turning.

"ROWEN!" Napatayo si Lucius mula sa pagkakaluhod at akmang hahawakan na ang lalaking nakabulagta sa stage. Pati si Helios na ilang hakbang ang layo sa kapwa niya founder, tinangka rin siyang hawakan.

"DON'T TOUCH HIM!" Loki shouted, rushing up to the stage where the victim was unconsciously lying. His yell caused the two on the stage to freeze for a minute. He knelt before the body and felt the pulse on the latter's wrist. Tumingin siya sa akin at marahan siyang umiling. "He's gone."

Almost everyone in the hall let out a gasp, causing unintelligible murmurs that sounded like buzzing of bees.

"Baka 'yan ang Avada Kedavra curse!" sigaw ng isa sa mga attendee. Napa-"oo nga" ang ilan sa mga katabi niya kaya lalo pang umingay sa hall.

"You're an idiot if you believe that a curse has killed him." Loki rose to his feet and stuffed his hands inside his robe's pockets. "An ingenious trick is involved here, not a spell that can instantly kill someone. Lorelei, come here."

Pagtawag niya sa pangalan ko, agad akong lumapit sa kaniya. I walked past Leona who was looking worried and Herschel who was perfectly calm despite the situation.

"Sino ba kayong dalawa?" kunot-noong tanong ni Helios, palipat-lipat ang tingin sa amin. "Ayaw n'yong lumapit kami sa katawan ni Rowen. Pero kayong dalawa, nandiyan sa tabi niya."

"Sorry, we lied. We're not Harry Potter fans. We're detectives hired to investigate the Avada Kedavra murders." Loki knelt again near the victim's body and began observing the scarf wrapped around his neck. He turned to Herschel who stood at the foot of the stage. "Did you bring that thing?"

"Of course!" Lumapit ang tech savvy acquaintance niya at iniabot ang isang magnet. "Here."

"Very good," Loki replied. Gumamit siya ng panyo para hawakan ang magnet at inilibot 'yon sa bandang leeg ng biktima. A needle about two inches long got attached to it. Maingat niyang hinawakan 'yon, iniwasang matusok ang kaniyang kamay. "Gotcha!"

"So that's the needle laced with curare." Herschel pointed at the magnet in my companion's hand. "There must be a puncture mark on his neck."

"Can you call the police, Hershey?" Loki unwrapped the blue-and-white scarf around Rowen's neck. I leaned closer to the body and saw a tiny red dot around his throat. May kaunting dugong lumalabas doon. "It's about time for Inspector Tobias and the Angeles City Police Department to enter the scene. Make sure no one leaves this hall. The culprit is definitely among us."