Chapter 25: She's Dating the Casanova (The Case)

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LORELEI

MY KNEES would not stop shaking. My hands would not stop fidgeting. My heart was beating so much faster and louder than normal, I could hear every throb of it.

"Heroes need not to wear capes. Some wear our very own school uniforms. They save us from danger without us realizing the peril. We owe it to them why we're gathered here today."

Sanay akong humarap sa mga tao, pero iba ang pakiramdam ngayon. Once we walked onto that stage, we would be greeted by all pairs of eyes here in Clark High. The feeling was overwhelming kaya siguro hindi ko napigilang manginig.

The four of us in the QED Club—Loki, Alistair, Jamie, and I—were at the backstage, waiting for our cue to enter the scene. I shot a sideward glance at them. Compared sa akin, they were much calmer and more composed.

Nakasandal si Loki sa pader, mukhang bagot na bagot habang nakakrus ang mga braso. He was not a fan of this sort of events. He would rather lock himself in the clubroom, but we dragged him from there all the way here in the gymnasium.

Sumandal din sa pader si Alistair habang nakatutok sa kaniyang phone. Sobrang relaxed ng kaniyang mukha at nagagawa pa niyang ngumiti. He must be reading his favorite eBook or browsing the net for research.

Pasimpleng nakasilip si Jamie sa maliit na siwang sa kurtinang tinatakpan ang backstage, pinanonood ang nangyayari sa entablado. She told us na parang blockbuster movie ang event dahil sa sobrang dami ng mga estudyanteng um-attend.

"As your student council president, I have the greatest honor to introduce to you the heroes of Clark High!"

Pagkarinig sa linyang 'yon, nagsiayos na kaming apat at naglakad patungo sa stage. Sinalubong kami ng palakpakan at hiyawan. I forced a smile at the enthusiastic audience. In my peripheral vision, Loki wore his usual bored face. Ipinakita ni Alistair ang tila permanente niyang ngiti habang si Jamie nama'y parang beauty queen na rumarampa at kumakaway-kaway pa.

We halted at the center of the stage, five or six steps away from the student council president who stood before the lectern. If it were not for the triple bomb threat the other day, we would not be standing in front of the crowd and be honored by the school. And if it were not for us, some students here might not have lived to see another day.

Lumapit ang student council president sa amin at isa-isa kaming binigyan ng medal. She shook our hands one-by-one, smiling at us while uttering the words "Thank you for your service!" We then struck a pose for a photograph and flashed the most charming smiles we could—except Loki.