Chapter 35: Napoleon-Gone-Wrong

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LORELEI

ALISTAIR IS still alive, but he lost consciousness again after directing our attention to the wounded cat. The back of his head was bleeding. Kailangan niya nang maidala agad sa ospital.

Freya is also alive, but she was not moving. Mabilis ko siyang ikinalong sa aking mga bisig. She was breathing deeply as she tried to cling to her dear life. Kailangan din niya ng agarang medikal na atensiyon.

"Just hang on, Freya!" I whispered in her ear as a teardrop fell on her furry face. She wanted to meow, but she could not. She was stabbed somewhere in the belly. Sinubukan kong pigilan ang pagdurugo gamit ang aking panyo.

Thanks to Jamie calling the hospital, mabilis na dumating ang tatlong paramedic sa clubroom. Maingat nilang binuhat si Alistair at inihiga sa dala-dalang stretcher. Hindi pa rin tumitigil ang pagdurugo ng kaniyang ulo.

"Someone hit him with a blunt object," sabi ni Loki habang pinanonood na buhatin palabas ng kuwarto ang clubmate namin. "I've known Alistair as an alert person. Whoever attacked him must have caught him off guard."

"But who would do such a thing?" bulalas ni Jamie. She wiped her tears using a handkerchief. "Alistair's a good guy! Bakit gagawin 'to sa kaniya?"

Our club president turned in my direction, his eyes fixated on our wounded cat. Bakas sa mga mata niya ang lungkot habang hinahaplos ang ulo nito. "Whoever did this to you and Alistair, I'll never forgive that person."

Sunod na dumating ang tinawag naming taga-veterinary clinic. Maingat nila siyang kinuha mula sa mga braso ko at ipinasok sa isang carrier. Ipinaubaya ko na sa kanila ang kaligtasan ni Freya. She shot me one last glance before completely closing her eyes.

I hoped that they would both make it in time.

The atmosphere in the clubroom became depressing. The pool of the blood remained on the floor. Umupo kaming tatlo at ilang minutong natulala sa pader. Just half an hour ago, everything was calm and peaceful. The five of us were complete—Freya included. Now, two of us were fighting for their lives.

But why? Why would someone attack Alistair in our very own clubroom? Nagkamali ako. I should not have let him leave noong sinabi niyang may babalikan siya rito. If I had insisted on him to come with us to the station, he would not have been hurt so badly.

I felt guilty. Something heavy in my chest was giving me an uneasy feeling. Ito na ba ang bagyong nasambit ni Luthor kanina? Did he know that something untoward would happen to one of our own clubmates?