Chapter 26: Twinkle, Twinkle Murders (Third Murder)

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LORELEI

HALF AN hour later, Alistair and Jamie also arrived at the crime scene. Dahil ito ang first time nilang ma-involve sa isang totoong pinangyarihan ng krimen sa loob ng campus, ipinakilala namin silang dalawa kay Inspector Estrada. Pinagsuot din sila ng gloves bago hinayaang mag-inspeksiyon sa paligid ng puno.

"The strokes and the width of every letter are similar to the first writing on the wall." Hinawakan ni Jamie ang natuyong dugo sa puno at inamoy 'yon. "No doubt na iisang tao ang sumulat nito."

Kahit wala siyang dalang reference para ipag-compare ang penmanship ng nakasulat sa puno, she must have used the image stuck in her mind. Thanks to her retentive memory, she could easily remember and recall almost everything that she had seen.

"How about the message?" Bahagyang tumingala si Alistair at nilapitan ang nakasulat sa puno. "The murderer seems to be challenging someone."

"Not someone, but some people." Tumayo si Loki sa tabi niya at tumingala rin. "The killer didn't leave this message for the victims. He left it for us."

Sabay-sabay kaming lumingon sa kaniya, bahagyang napabuka ang bibig namin ni Jamie. Kaya pala gano'n ang iniwan niyang message. Hinahamon niya kaming mga member ng QED Club kung kaya naming tuldukan ang kaniyang killing spree. How bold of him.

"Any clue about our murderer?" tanong ko habang sine-search ng mga mata ko ang damuhan, baka may naiwan ang killer na maliit na bagay na puwedeng magsilbing ebidensya. "We waited for them to strike. They did. I'm hoping na may napulot tayong hint na makapagtuturo sa identity niya."

"Aside from the fact that our murderer is a he, and he must be taller than Alistair to write that message at that height? None," sagot ni Loki. "But Inspector Estrada said something curious. The victim didn't have her phone with her. The police also searched her unit, but they didn't find it."

"Posible kayang kinuha 'yon ng salarin?" tanong ni Jamie.

"But why would he steal his victim's phone?" I asked next.

"He must be trying to hide something." Napahawak si Alistair sa kaniyang chin, nasa damuhan ang tingin niya. "He probably sent a text message to Jessy to lure her out. Baka natakot siyang makahanap ng paraan ang mga awtoridad na ma-trace ang number niya o kung ano ang laman ng kaniyang message."

"Particularly if the texter is familiar to the victim." Napataas ang isang daliri ni Loki. "But don't you find it strange? The police have already warned the victim and her friends to be more careful, yet she was lured out and murdered here."