Chapter 28: Fall of the QED Club (Part 4)

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LORELEI

I THOUGHT that victory was at hand when Zoey played the edited audio clips. But no! She managed to turn the tables again and we were caught by surprise. Paano? Gamit ang Pandora's Box. Sino ang mag-aakala na puwedeng gamitin 'yon laban kay Loki? Laban sa amin? That was the trump card saved by the enemy until the very last moment—just when we were about to be triumphant.

"Timing! Timing!" bulalas ni Loki habang naglalakad nang paikot sa rooftop. Magkadikit ang mga daliri niya na parang nagdarasal. "We were about to steal the gun away from her. Then she took out a freaking bazooka!"

"K-Kalma ka lang, Loki dear." Sinubukang lumapit ni Jamie sa kaniya, pero nag-alangan siya. "Malulusutan pa natin 'to. If we managed to turn the witnesses' statements against the Clarion, puwede pa nating mabaligtad ang sitwasyon."

"How exactly? My name's on the laptop. They can check the date when the Pandora's Box folder was created. That will further support their claim against me—against us. We need to think of a way to get out of this mess."

"What if you tell them the truth? On how you got those photos and why you saved them on your laptop?" payo ni Alistair, nakasunod ang tingin sa kaniya. "The only way we can prevent a lie from growing like a flower that allures people is by quickly cutting it with the sharp blade of truth. "

"But the truth doesn't matter anymore!" Halos pagtaasan na kami ng boses ni Loki. "Zoey and the Clarion will only twist the facts to suit their narrative that we're a dirty club. And the Pandora's Box might be the nail in the coffin!"

"Wala na bang magagawa si Herschel?" nakasimangot na tanong ni Jamie. "Baka may way para ma-delete niya ang laman ng Pandora's Box? Baka puwede niyang i-hack ang laptop mo?"

"I've already asked him, but he said he can't access my stolen device because it's not connected to the internet."

"How about Inspector Estrada? Sa kaniya isu-surrender ang laptop, 'di ba? Baka puwede natin siyang kuntsabahin?"

"For some reason, the inspector didn't come to work today. He's also not responding to my messages."

Napayuko ako at napatakip ng mukha. Freya tried to cheer me up by rubbing her body against my leg. Ramdam siguro niya ang tumataas na tensiyon sa amin. Na-appreciate ko ang ginawa niya, pero hangga't hindi namin nalulusutan ito, hindi ako mapapanatag at mapapangiti.

Tumingala si Loki sa kalangitan at sandaling huminto sa paglalakad. "We have no other choice but resort to underhanded tactics. Again. Let's steal my laptop in their possession."